PDA

View Full Version : SE-i Steering Controls working on my CD Player !!!

Luis 89LXi
01-02-2004, 03:17 PM
Hi everyone !

Last time i went to the junkyard i found an SE-i Audio steering Control liying arround, i take it just in case i can make it work on my stock LXi cassete deck, i cannot, but i was working on my old SONY CDX-1200 trying to make them work.

I was wondering how the detachable face works everything whit almost 10 pins to transmit data between the face and the unit, i found half of the buttons works by ressitance in just one pin, the other half works same by other pin whit a commond ground on pin #1; (i have to identify which pin is which whit my multimeter).

So as the S. controls are just tree, i chose SKIP FF, VOL UP and VOL DW, i test the ressistance in the detachable face pin number 2 and this it was:

Detachable face:
SKIP FF: 19.17K
VOL UP: 7.87K
VOL DW: 12.51K

I pull out the stock ressitances on the S. Controls to find the nearest ressistances to match the unit, so i went to the local electronic parts suply and find this ones:

Steering Coltrol:
for SKIP FF: 17.20K
for VOL UP: 8.12K
for VOL DW: 11.60K

I have to run the single wire from the steering wheel to the unit, so i use the Horn wire, i have no horn now, buy theres no way unless i can have the SEi steering ring. And run a wire in the Head Unit from Pin #2 to meet the wire from the steering wheel, everythig looks factory.

I works pretty good, no way to spend over $50 on infrared ports or somethig, i just spent less than $5 on parts. I can post a How To whit pics if someone is interested. Think about it, is easy. i just tryed on my SoNY but it can work on almost every digital unit if they run the buttons on the same pin and you can find the ressitance, remeber SEi Controls have just 2 wires one is GROUND and the other one is ressistance.

I'll have pics as soon as i can get my friends digicam, i just can't wait to share that.

Luis Z

jayp6969
01-02-2004, 07:23 PM
kool man minttt

StUpiD8000
01-02-2004, 11:31 PM
Hell ya...Nice job man

Hash_man_Se_i
01-03-2004, 02:56 AM
Sounds good, I want to see this how too. I am very interested. I have found an adapter I can get through my work to make my steering wheel controls work with my deck, but maybe this will work too.

Luis 89LXi
01-03-2004, 04:10 AM
Sure it works, very sweet. I'll take some pictures and post a how to.

Luis

Bloodlust
01-03-2004, 06:18 AM
Yo thats sweet, hurry up with those pics. :D

Robs89LXi
04-17-2005, 06:47 PM
Talk about bringing back the dead (thread).... but Luis, I've noticed you around lately. Did you ever do this write-up? I am now in the same boat, so I would be grateful for any help you can give.

Luis 89LXi
04-17-2005, 07:57 PM
man! that was alot of time, that cd player broke.

but at that time i did that was writted upthere, just measure the Ohms when a button has pressed, i tried Pioneer, Alpine, and only Sony have a comon ground and Pin1 for half buttons and Pin2 for the other half, others have a kind of bus data on the faceplate to transmit to the HU.

Tell me what you got and i will try to help you as much as i can.

Luis

But for my Pioneer i use a spare Remote and solder the Sei buttons to the functions i want on the remote, i know thats not clear, but i will show you a pic tomorrow.

Robs89LXi
04-18-2005, 03:00 AM
Okay, Luis, I know you are Hispanic, but what you just said was all Greek to me..LOL ;)
When it comes to electronics, I'm pretty much a dimwit, so you probably will have to draw me pictures. I did understand the last part about soldering the SE-i buttons to a remote though; that is a good idea. Are most remotes line-of-sight though (do they have to actually be pointing at the head unit for it to work)? If they are, I guess I would have to find a way to mount it also.
Yeah, send pics if you have them, and use small words so that I can understand :)
Thanks
Rob.