PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Honda Accord engine conversion

Seth Cooper
07-01-2002, 04:16 AM
I have an 1983 Honda Accord with the 1602cc EL engine. I amafter better performance from my car so I was considering fitting the 1.8litre 12 valve engine from an 1984 accord. Any ideas comments suggestions?

1989 DX R
07-01-2002, 07:47 AM
Look for Phydeaux, he swapped an A20a1 to his 85, which isn't too different from your 83. He also has some other custom mods. It will take work, as the mounts and axles and other things need to be custom made, but it can be done.

PhydeauX
07-01-2002, 09:58 AM
Well you have an 83 so the 84 accord motor isnt going to be a vialbe option unless you want to custom fab everything. Honda changed the engine mounts for the 84 modle year, though they keep the cars clasified in the same generation. I tryed to put an a20a (same mounts as the ES2 thats in the 84) and things didnt quite line up. The block of the 12v motor is about 2" longer and requires the front and back mount, the torque arm, and the center crossmember to be moved over 2" to the right. You also have to fabricate a new front mount and the passenger side axle needs to be shortened by 2". Its alot of work, and yes it looks like the motor will bolt right in, untill you get it in there. Might as well swap a b16 in if your going to be doing that much work. Since you have the 1.6 the easy upgrade would be the 1.8L EK motor. Its a single cam 8 valve cvcc motor, basicly the same thing you have but with more displacement. That motor can be found in 81-83 accords and first gen preludes and will bolt righ up. Get a weber DGV conversion and the motor will put out close to 100hp, that 1.6 makes something like 60.

andy

Seth Cooper
07-01-2002, 09:35 PM
I am in Australia should one of those 1.8 litre engines be easy to get hold of?

PhydeauX
07-02-2002, 07:13 AM
Shouldn't be that bad. Call up a few wreckers and tell them your looking for an EK or EK1 engine from an early accord or prelude. The EL that you have was the economy engine and the EK was the performance one (I have to snicker when I say that after owning a car powered by one). I don't think we got any accords powered by the EL motor after 81, americans are known to dislike underpowered yet fuel efficent cars, so I can't help you on what to look for.

andy