PDA

View Full Version : Macco...would you/wouldnt you

Mattphi
01-03-2004, 08:37 AM
Has anyone here had luck with Macco? Some people tell me they suck balls but there are some people who have great luck. There is a GST on my race team that has a b-e-a-utiful paintjob from them. I heard they mix the clear coat with the paint so im a little hesitant with going to them. But like alot of people here, im low on the cash flow so theres not too many choices. But all i need to do is re-paint the outside white...so tell me what yall think i should do. Thanks

-Tex

Bloodlust
01-03-2004, 08:43 AM
My car was painted by Maaco. Just dont let them do any body work. They suck at that. But as far as painting the same color as original paint, I would go for the Premium package that they have. Ive had no problem with mine. if you want to see pics of my car, visit my cardomain site, just click on my signature.

Y3G
01-03-2004, 08:56 AM
Macco???
save up a little more money and get it done by a professional

Bloodlust
01-03-2004, 09:06 AM
Macco???
save up a little more money and get it done by a professional

"Little" more money? A professional paint job that will look any different than a maaco job would cost about $2,000. If you want something quick and will last at least 10 years, Maaco is your best bet. Besides, a "professional" paint vs a maaco paint job is this. A professional preps it better and then drives it to Maaco to have them paint it.

Mattphi
01-03-2004, 09:11 AM
Bloodlust i was looking at ur car on cardomain earlier this morning...looks damn good, i am gonna have the same work done (mirrors, bumper trim, side moldings *thinking about shaving them off completely*, etc) how much was your paintjob? Im trying to get estimates. But damn dude...I am definatly lovin your car, i can see potential in mine haha :rockon:

Bloodlust
01-03-2004, 09:23 AM
Bloodlust i was looking at ur car on cardomain earlier this morning...looks damn good, i am gonna have the same work done (mirrors, bumper trim, side moldings *thinking about shaving them off completely*, etc) how much was your paintjob? Im trying to get estimates. But damn dude...I am definatly lovin your car, i can see potential in mine haha :rockon:

Thanks much appreciated. Gonna cramp my style huh? :D Nah its all good. My paint job was $450 bucks, it was some kind of package at the time, it could be cheaper now. i got the highest grade paint available there, clear coat, the works. I havent had one problem with it.

k-roy
01-03-2004, 09:41 AM
My car was painted by them. I DID NOT have it done. It was painted a few months before I purchased the car. The previous owner did not even wax it. When I first got the car paint peeled right off. Under where it peeled the car was not even sanded, just smooth factory paint. I believe it was the $200 cheapie job. I would go with them and do it like Bloodlust did, only I would pull the trim and sand it down myself. A good paintjob is all about the details, so you might as well do the little tedious work yourself.

MarioBurke
01-03-2004, 10:19 AM
"is that your car?"
"yeah im standing by it!"
"shit if theys one things, everybodys knows is, its not who paints the car, its how you prep it. You just remember that"

from personal experience twice, Maaco sucks ballsonya. they never match your paint to be the right color for one. They dont take anything off. you will get over spray everywhere. and the biggest shit of all, (Kroy reason why yours pealed) is because if the car is not sanded down at all, what they do is throw on this special blender paint that kinda Bites into your clear coat and makes it sticky so they can paint right over it.

the best maaco job is the one where they dont touch your car. but if you insist on having them paint it, at least do the prep work yourself. scuff up the clear coat so you dont see any shiny coat at all, and tape around all the windows and jams yourself.

Justin86
01-03-2004, 11:22 AM
shit it is better to do all the sanding your self if you go to Maaco. If you want an ok job do it you self.

Mike89Accordcom
01-03-2004, 11:28 AM
NO way. Cheap cheap work.

BITESIZE
01-03-2004, 05:46 PM
...........................Wouldn't.

k-roy
01-06-2004, 01:23 AM
Here is an example of my fucked up paint. It flaked right off when I waxed it for the first time.
http://monolith.projectgamma.com/~kroy/3geez/Maaco3.jpg

http://monolith.projectgamma.com/~kroy/3geez/macco2.jpg

Another thing. The fucktards who painted my car painted right over the pinstriping. Then they applied a scarlet stripe right over the old one. They did a real crappy job with that too. So when I went to peel it off you can see the raised paint over the old stripe. Man they piss me off. I wish I had a garage so I could do it the right way, like MarioBurke did.

BITESIZE
01-06-2004, 10:31 AM
what did they do, just paint right over the old paint with no prep?

KoNEY
01-06-2004, 04:43 PM
im gonna do mine myself, mt uncle has a booth and everything, i just gotta finish prepping

Wild LX-i
01-06-2004, 06:38 PM
Yes my friend, go pro. It save time, Money (depending), and you won't get a headache. Plus Macco for some reason, their paint peels off, probably becuse of the "no prep".

k-roy
01-06-2004, 07:08 PM
One more thing. They painted over the bumpers and it was peeling when i got it. I had to sand down the bumpers and rub it with acetone. Then I used Plasticote bumper/trim primer and paint. I don't mind black bumpers but it would look a little nicer to have them match the car.

3G Jester
01-06-2004, 08:29 PM
macco is a franchise. it differs from store to store. your better prepping your own car. sand it and wash it. tape everything off yourself and remove the emblems otherwise they will paint it.

danronian
01-06-2004, 10:20 PM
A maaco paint job is whatever you pay for. You can get a $200 job, but if you do, it is only sprayed over the old paint. The only way a $200 job is worthwhile, is if you need to sell fast and that is the only bad part on the car. If you know (or learn as I did) how to prep the car, take it to maaco and save a few grand (seriously). When I finished my malibu resto, it was either maaco or primer. I then spent an entire summer doing body work and sanding until I was happy with the work. I then sent it to get painted and that is all they did, and that is (for the most part) what I expected for them to do. The first time it was done they screwed up some parts (because the painter quited the day before and the manager painted the car) and then they repainted the entire car and fixed their mistakes with no grief at all. Sure, they custom mix every color, but they use paint that many bodyshops use (other then the stone-age laquers). But if you are set on the exact shade of the color, just go in when they mix the paint. And about the overspray: Just make sure you get them to understand what you want taped, it may take notes and doing much of the taping yourself, but it will be worthwhile. In the end, your paint job is how much work was put into the prep work. I have spoken on the side of maaco so many times in similar posts, do a search, you'll see many other maaco posts if you want more opinions (my rants have gotten shorter lately).

Blue Impact
01-06-2004, 10:34 PM
My Accord was painted by Maaco. They didn't sand it, but they did primer it. The paintjob I got from them was alright for $400. It's been on the car for almost 2 years and so far it's still good.

danronian
01-08-2004, 09:40 PM
I paid $200 more to get maaco to sand the car once over just in case I missed any spots and I would bet they didn't even lay a piece of sandpaper on the car. Just make sure you don't go for that overpriced and useless option. I also bought the self-etching primer for use on bare metal to make sure it got sealed very well. But even the cheapest maaco job comes with primer. Just make sure you tell them what you want painted, b/c they often paint over everything unless specified not to.

whyterice
01-16-2004, 04:53 AM
Depends on the Macco. THe one here in High Point does a great job and comes highly recommended for others...the one in Greensboro I have heard nothing but bad about them.
If cost is a concern, get the cheaper paint job for now at Macco and then go out and get it done later and better when you have the money.

marks_hatch
01-20-2004, 07:50 PM
I would definitely agree w/ Whyterice, it all depends on who owns it. If you know someone there, they'll do a good job. When I go to get my car painted, I'm takin it to Maaco, because one of my mom's friends owns it, so they better do a good job or I'll let them know. I think me and one of my friends are gonna sand and primer it, like we did on his Mustang(he still hasn't gotten it painted yet lol).

Bryan
01-20-2004, 08:28 PM
No definetly not. They don't take care of your car at all and it will chip off.

bullard123
05-29-2004, 05:17 PM
Man sounds like you guys had a lot of problems with Maaco. Personally I think they did did an awesome job to my car. I got a $550 paint job for $250 (I got the presidential paint package which included clear coat). Plus they started working on my car before I even left the shop. Plus I watched them sand it down myself while I was waiting on my rent-a-car. Also the part that impressed me the most was that I dropped myu car off on a Thursday at noon and it was ready by Saturday at noon, plus they had it detailed at no extra charge. The only thing I didn't like was they didn't paint my door jams. They said that Iwould have to pay extra for that. Here check it out for yourself www.angelfire.com/celeb2/jermaine

Vanilla Sky
05-29-2004, 07:44 PM
i'm goin to a local shop for mine... IMO, that's the ONLY way to go for good paint

zero.counter
05-29-2004, 08:08 PM
What about Earl Scheib?

Vanilla Sky
05-29-2004, 08:38 PM
i've seen none of thier examples... i'm going to a shop that does paint on hotrods... if they don't do thier shit right, they lose a lot of money...

customandsound
05-29-2004, 08:40 PM
i got a macco paint job and it sucked .... it was just a bad job ... but it was not on a street car ..

unc25
05-30-2004, 06:08 AM
I am going to fill in my emblem holes, fix the rust and run the sander over the car before going to have it painted by a local guy, he said 150 for a re-spray with primer and clear coat.
Whats the best way to prep the bumpers? I wouldnt mind having black bumpers, but if I can get him to paint it then what the hey why not.

Justin86
05-30-2004, 08:56 AM
the reason why macco is cheap is cause they don't do a high quality job and they use cheap ass paint. I would rather paint my car myself or take it to my uncle then get a cheap ass paint job.

grsmnky33
05-31-2004, 09:00 PM
they did a beautiful job on a dune buggy I built a few years back, don't know how their bodywork is though, I did all my own......