PDA

View Full Version : Fast idle

geofstan
01-03-2004, 02:30 PM
I can lock my fast idle manually by holding the choke valve closed and pressing the accelerator, thats fine. But when I just press my accelerator when the car is cold to engage the fast idle it doesn't engage even the honda factory manual doesn't help can anybody here help

Thanks

DanG86LX
01-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Guess, the answer is in ur post! Check choke flap position:
With engine cold < 25*C, the choke flap should be closed, due to bimetallic spring in the choke housing. When that happen, through a series of levers and springs, the Fast Idle Cam is tensioned to be set (when u blip the gas before startup).
Proly ur choke flap is not closing when engine cold.. U may have to open choke housing by drilling 3 rivets and inspect that bimetallic spring..

POS carb
01-12-2004, 07:51 AM
Probably the thermovalves...to check:

(Engine cold (<--recommended) or hot)
1st, with the engine off, close the choke with your hand, hold it closed, and with your other hand open and close the throttle. Now turn it on but don't touch the accelerator. If you get fast idle you choke settings are fine. Now, while the engine is on, tap the throttle. If it goes down to normal idle and won't go back up with the engine cold that means the thermovalve which opens the choke is stuck and should be replaced.