PDA

View Full Version : Muffler suggestion???

cdscowboy
01-03-2004, 08:23 PM
Hey fellas-
I got some money for Christmas that I'm to put towards some quiet exhaust. I have a Racer Design dual tip right now. I'm looking for something that will give me the same performance gains (READ: NOT STOCK MUFFLER :)) without the obnoxiously loud noise. I can handle a little bit...like above 4500k or 5000k would be cool, like when I'm nailing it, but cruising at 3k with my ears bleeding is a big no!

I'd heard something about Dynomax mufflers...more info please.

Any suggestions are welcome. Please rate the mufflers on a scale of 1-10 for loudness, with 1 being silent through the whole range, and 10 being a really loud exhaust (not like NASCAR, but aftermarket stuff).

Morpheus
01-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Muffler alone isnt giving you squat. Invest in an entire exhaust including header and you'll probably see some mild gains from what I've heard.

MrBen
01-03-2004, 08:48 PM
He knows that bro, but he's a college student and does things a little at a time like all of us college goers.

cubert
01-03-2004, 09:04 PM
if you dont have to pass emissions hollow out the cat and use a stock muffler...that way it looks stock...is quiet when youre cruising..and has a distinct sound when you get on the gas hard

adams86lxi
01-03-2004, 09:14 PM
i would get the dynomax super turbo muffler i have it and love it! It has a deep mellow sound to it! They are 34$ at jegs!

I have a 2-1/4 offset 2-1/4 center. Here is the link http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1276&prmenbr=361

Mystic1
01-03-2004, 09:19 PM
I have a strait threw Magna Flow, with a Ca. legal 'cat' and a 3.5 in. tip. I also have a friend with a 94 Civic with the exact same thing. If I keep it under about 4500 hardly anyone will turn their head. Ubove that I get more of a reaction. Under 4000 a cop next to me won't even turn his head. For some reason with my car there is a low bass like growl inside that leads you to think it is much louder outside, but its not. For some reason my friends Civic dosn't do this even though we have the exact same muffler. I took a 2 hour drive about a week ago and it didn't bother me a bit. I would recomend it.

BTW: I see your in Or. If your not running a 'cat' do not do this unless you want Texas State Troopers knocking on your door. Not even at idle will you not be noticed.

Vinny
01-03-2004, 09:32 PM
I plan on doing mine if Feb, going to try Jim's suggestion of the magnaflow tube muffler (4" x 18" PN 10425) and a magnaflow stainless turbo (PN 14325). That would be my siggestion along with 2.25" pipe

cdscowboy
01-03-2004, 10:26 PM
I already have the catback piping...2.5" So I just need the muffler.

Morpheus...I'm waiting for a KILLER deal on a DC Sports header...so basically it ain't happening for a while :)

So the votes are:
Dynamax Super Turbo
Magnaflow Tube & Stainless Turbo (is that two mufflers? wtf? :P)

Keep 'em comin fellas

buzzbomber88lx
01-04-2004, 10:27 AM
apex'i n1 hehehe the loudest muffler on the market for an import.....get one on ebay or their not cheap...
my recomendation is:
dynomax superturbo or bullet muffler-bullet is pretty loud and offers more performance
flowmaster 40 or 50 series-40 series is loudest but they all offer good performance
spintech-anyone who has used one knows that they scream!!
magnaflow makes great mufflers too
obx-probably whats going on my celica unless I can afford a spintech or bullet and put a tip on it.

I would say go ahead and get a super turbo because they are cheap and until you get the other stuff they arent any diff. in performance than a straight through muffler
think of it this way-any muffler is better than stock......

dXsquared
01-04-2004, 10:36 AM
hmm... get a high flow 2.5 inch cat, a 24 inch long cherry bomb(resonator) and a Flowtech Terminator muffler... its kinda loud outside, but if you have a high flo cat and resonator, it should be OK inside

the Terminator sounds WICKED on our cars.. i had one hooked up for a few days after my bud rolled his 4runner... the car like barked when i stomped on it.... it was such a cool sound... just go with a 2.5 inch pipe out the back, NO TIP

Jims 86LXI HB
01-04-2004, 10:57 AM
How'd this get put in off topic? It's a performance question :huh:
Moving this to performance now.

MrGlicko
01-04-2004, 11:16 AM
www.strpower.com

Hakaveli
01-04-2004, 11:36 AM
i got the flowmaster and works so well and sounds deep

Not like a rock
01-04-2004, 11:40 AM
Is there a particular brand you guys recommend for hi flow cat?

dXsquared
01-04-2004, 12:11 PM
CATCO or CARSOUND or DYNOMAX or MAGNAFLOW... CATCO and CARSOUND are the cheapest and most available on ebay

Travis

cdscowboy
01-04-2004, 12:16 PM
Sorry Jim...wanted more publicity...I'm REALLY tired of the exhaust, and now I can do something about it! Won't happen again :D

If I were to get just the high flow 2.5" cat and Flowmaster Terminator, would there be issues with it lining up with the stock piping from the header? My 2.5" piping only goes to the rear of the cat, then stock cat, and stock header.

Also, with that setup, will it be quiet under ~4.5k?? That's my main concern. I can put a cat on later...I just want a mostly quiet muffler at this point. Thanks!

dXsquared
01-04-2004, 12:19 PM
to get quiet inside, you need a resonator... thats the cherry bomb for 20 bucks... get that put in right under the passenger comartment... with a cat in there, it would get really quiet even with no muffler... the Terminator isnt a Flowmaster.. its Flowtech.. made by Holley... its not a QUIET muffler, its kinda loud, but i had it on a straight pipe... with a cat and resonator, it should be fairly quiet...

if you want real quiet, and not alot of barking, get a Dynomax.. its like a DRONE sound.. a mellow and deep HUM.. esp. with your big ass 2.5 inch tubes

Travis

Justin86
01-04-2004, 12:26 PM
get the super turbo or a flowmaster 60 series, and you can get the super turbos for dirt cheap lately.

Mystic1
01-04-2004, 01:19 PM
Is there a particular brand you guys recommend for hi flow cat?

The best cat is no cat at all, and thats free to do

cdscowboy
01-04-2004, 01:51 PM
Thanks fellas for all the help, especially DXHATCH... I got set up with a Dynomax Magnum Glasspack Mufflers - 2-1/2" In/Out 28" Long (Item # 289-24214) and a Dynomax Super Converter - 2.5'' In/Out, 13.25'' Long (Item # 289-15038). I'll let you all know how it turns out! :)

jeremiah0678
01-04-2004, 02:48 PM
I have a Magnaflow DTM muffler, i love it. The muffler has a deep rich tone, and improved throttle response. My favorite part was the exhaust note, cause my biggest fear was it sounding like a weed-eater on crack like alot of the rice boys around here, and its priced fair.

NeubJ
01-04-2004, 03:24 PM
the Terminator sounds WICKED on our cars.. i had one hooked up for a few days after my bud rolled his 4runner... the car like barked when i stomped on it.... it was such a cool sound... just go with a 2.5 inch pipe out the back, NO TIP

How loud is the terminator? (comparing it to the n1 sytle/cannon mufflers that are loud and sound like crap IMO)

I have the 50 flowmaster and 2 1/4" piping (I would rate it a 5 ) and it is very quiet compared to these other mufflers. My intake takes over above 3k. I kinda wish it was a tad louder at lower speeds.

Rendon LX-i
01-04-2004, 04:13 PM
U can also get a Maxspeed Muffler. i got that and its nice. deep low tone. i like it. its straight though. i got 2.5 piping so its a little lower tone. but Dynomax is ight i guess. my friend has that is Okay.

dXsquared
01-04-2004, 05:24 PM
the Terminator is pretty loud and barky... esp at like 3000 RPM when you pin it... it is quieter than a ricer straight threw muffler... im goin with a Terminator on my Excel

Travis

NeubJ
01-04-2004, 07:29 PM
the Terminator is pretty loud and barky... esp at like 3000 RPM when you pin it... it is quieter than a ricer straight threw muffler... im goin with a Terminator on my Excel

Travis
Lets say those n1 ricer type mufflers are a 10. On a scale of 1-10. What would you give the Terminator?

Robs89LXi
02-05-2004, 01:25 PM
Thanks fellas for all the help, especially DXHATCH... I got set up with a Dynomax Magnum Glasspack Mufflers - 2-1/2" In/Out 28" Long (Item # 289-24214) and a Dynomax Super Converter - 2.5'' In/Out, 13.25'' Long (Item # 289-15038). I'll let you all know how it turns out! :)

Well, how did it turn out? I'm interested in the same thing; good performance gain with as little sound as possible. Most people responding on this thread seem all caught up with sound, I'm more interested in performance. Please let me know what kinds of gain you felt.
Thanks.

jeremiah0678
02-05-2004, 06:52 PM
it turned out great. throttle response was better, and gas milage improved. I highly recomend them. The throttle response wont jerk your head back...LOL but im carbed and i did notice that it is more responsive, and especially when you get in the power band. The thing people need to remember with a "wide open exhaust" is the you actually loose torque. Straight pipes are only effective at extremly high RPM's. and if you want loud, i can get under your car with a coffee can and a rivet gun and make your car "sound" loud..LOL but yes definitly get a magnaflow!

lightbulblxi
02-05-2004, 06:58 PM
sounds cool.

tmac
02-05-2004, 10:56 PM
Hmm helpful post, I will be redoing my exhust soon too...within the month, once I get the thing back on the road.

Justin86
02-06-2004, 09:23 AM
ha muffler who needs them, lol! :D
flowmaster or magnaflow

L337Ride
02-07-2004, 09:47 PM
if you want to see a magnaflow on a 3g, here is a pic for you. This is a racing series, 2.25" nonresinated catback, and believe me its loud but not rice sounding....

http://www.boomspeed.com/frizzel/Untitled-2.jpg
http://www.boomspeed.com/frizzel/Untitled-5.jpg

hope this helps