PDA

View Full Version : Am I Paying Too Much For The Engine Work?

HondaBoy
01-04-2004, 05:42 PM
im needin my water pump, timing belt, and the other belts. i got all of them, but i dont wanna fuck anything up on my car, so im not wanting to touch it. ok, well ive been trying to find the mechanic i wanted to do the work. asked him today and he says $200 for putting all that stuff on. i dont know if thats too bad a price. considering all the other places i checked said about $300 and up to $500, thats just the labor. so, does $200 sound bad for that work done? i realy need my car back for school this week.

AccordEpicenter
01-04-2004, 05:56 PM
for waterpump and timing belt along, places usually charge much more than that, id say its a deal, if the mechanic is good and knows what hes doing/has a good rep. Ive seen way too many redneck mechanics install t belts one or 2 teeth off (BIG NO NO) and the car ran like shiat or overtightening the belt etc... make sure hes a good mechanic. Just make sure you use good quality parts, gates t belt and i would STRONGLY reccomend a HONDA water pump, ive wasted bad aftermarket pumps before at like 20-30k miles.

MrBen
01-04-2004, 06:08 PM
That's a great deal! I paid over 700 for a water pump and timing (Parts and Labor)

DO NOT GET A NON OEM HONDA WATER PUMP. That's a part you don't want to have problems with.

HondaBoy
01-04-2004, 06:34 PM
ive already got it. its a remanufactured pump. and the T belt is made by dayco, made in italy. but that doesnt mean shit. anyway, the WP says its a direct replacement OEM one. i couldnt afford the $70 for the one at the dealership. this guy did a head rebuild on my friends plymouth acclaim. it runs soo smooth and sounds like a brand new engine. did a great job on the timing as well!

HondaBoy
01-05-2004, 09:12 PM
ok, i took the car over to the mechanic today. right when i got there it started acting up! when i started it for him, i could hear the water pump clunking louder than before! he said to turn it off right then. says thats pretty bad, but since i have it there to get it fixed, i guess i dont have to worry. i havent driven the 3gee since last sunday. the mechanic said it should be done by wednesday. ive got a few cars infront of me. cant wait to get it back! im getting the t belt put on so that may be what takes the longest. its original from 1986, 4500miles short of 100000 now.