PDA

View Full Version : Performance exhaust??

CoAsTeR
07-01-2002, 09:58 AM
I really want to pickup a pacesetter header. But hooking that up to the stock exhaust... doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose? I can get the header and exahaust system for 500 bucks canadian + tax.... but again.. isn't that kinda dumb since it doesn't include the catalyst? I mean... you have to do the WH0LE exhaust system, not just pieces in order for it to really make a difference. Cause you're going from a high flow pipe to a smaller pipe.... kinda working against itself is it not?

So the question is..... is is smart to just do the header and exhaust..... screw the catalyst... and still have a good performance gain?

The other option I noticed on here is that I could perhaps do the header and exhaust and just replace the catalyst with a straight pipe? how do I go about putting a straightpipe in without having an exhaust leak?

Thanks for your help!

BTW... this will be complimenting my weber....

Jims 86LXI HB
07-01-2002, 09:18 PM
First of all you'll get more of a power increase by having a muffler shop create you a cat-back with a performance aftermarket muffler of your choice. I can also speak from experience to answer your question. I had a muffler shop create a resonator back system while retaining the stock cat and the stock headers. I did notice a increase in power when I left the muffler shop. Some people might say it was a huge noticeable difference, but I'll be honest and say it was small, but it was their. Next I installed my DC Sports header. I notieced are much bigger difference in power with the header. I'd have to say that the stock header wasn't letting me realize the full potential of the exhaust system. Hope that helps. BTW, my resonator back system cost me $142 U.S.

CoAsTeR
07-02-2002, 05:33 AM
Thanks for the help...... I'm just kinda stumped as to how it would help since, you have a high-flow header and high flow exhaust, but your cat plug everything up cuz its still stock! Kinda defeats the purpose don't you think? But if you noticed a difference, perhaps the catalyst doesn't plug it up as much as I think.

1988starter
07-02-2002, 10:07 AM
Well I got a pacesetter header with my old 2 inch catback and stock muffler and I did notice a nice boost in speed better than when I put on my pacesetter catback oh well then I cut off that damn pacesetter muffler and went dynomax and now I got power almost equal to the header. But I say just get what ever you want first.

dXsquared
07-02-2002, 12:13 PM
If you live in Canada, you can get away with no cat, for a while. Where do you live in Canada? I have a stock exaust manifold with a 2 inch pipe witth no cat or resonator with a cherry bomb muffler and a 5 inch stainless steel tip. It is very load but i like it. Thats my 2 cents
Travis

CoAsTeR
07-02-2002, 02:05 PM
I live near toronto... and you HAVE to have a Cat... if you don't they ticket you. The cops in toronto are very oppressive and are slammin' everyone with tickets from emissions bypassing to coloured light bulbs. If you have a big tip on your muffler, you get a ticket..... you have HID lights? you get a ticket cuz they look blueish.... car to low? you get a ticket..... clear plastic cover over your plate? ticket............ oh yah, its crazy..... you drive a honda? guaranteed harassment...... they give tickets ask questions later.....

just the other night I was out with Toronto accords for a cruise night..... we drove right into a hornets nest of cops, they scrambled and pulled most of us over and handed out tickets for everything... there was about 20 or so cars, no speeding, just cruising...... but that didn't matter...... they hit us hard..... search vehicles, MOT was poppin' hoods checkin emissions defeat, mirrors under cars checkin' for exhaust.......

dXsquared
07-03-2002, 08:53 AM
i live in a small city of 57000 called North Bay. Its by Sudbury. I have a straight pipe with a cherry bomb muffler from Canadian Tire. I also have a 5 inch Stainless tip. It is so fuckin loud that i can drive by a vehicle on the road and set off the alarm!! i can make it quiet by skipin 3rd and keep the revs low if the cops are followin. if i ever get rich, im gonna drive around till a cop gets on my ass then ill floor it and then down shif two gears and hit 7000 rpms and blow his fuckin ear drums! oh well i guess im just pissed at cops! NO RESPECT FOR ATHORITY!!!:super: :smokin:

fromerly89Exi
07-08-2002, 11:11 AM
I live in Guelph ON, and they dont seem to be that strict on noise pollution here. There are tonnes of obsurdly loud civics and rx7's etc... I dont have a cat. but i run a turbo muffler, so its not too loud. yet...