PDA

View Full Version : exterior door trim

'A20A3'
01-05-2004, 03:04 PM
How do you remove it???

k-roy
01-05-2004, 04:42 PM
a small flathead screwdriver and a careful hand so you don't scratch the paint.

buzzbomber88lx
01-05-2004, 07:29 PM
it sucks but kroy is right. you have to do it that way and it takes patience and carefulness to keep from scratching the paint. why are you removing the trim anyway?

smufguy
01-06-2004, 08:39 AM
you can also remove it from the inside of the door after u remove the door panels.

you are better off getting those fastners from the Dealer or a honda parts store before you do this so that u would put it back once ur done.

'A20A3'
01-06-2004, 02:51 PM
To hell with the paint...it will be repainted soon... I'm probably shaving the trim. And the door handles as well...emblems too.
BONDO = My best friend

smufguy
01-07-2004, 09:53 AM
doubt if bondo would be good to cover up that big of a gap. Why dont u get the shop weld a piece over where the trim was and then sand it good for a cleaner long lasting look?

BITESIZE
01-07-2004, 10:41 AM
I wouldn't just use bondo, it will crack like a bitch. You will need to weld a peice of metal in the crevice and bondo over it, to keep hold.

'A20A3'
01-07-2004, 10:50 AM
Actually i changed my mind now....just gonna paint the trim. But Bondo will help my rust problem....

buzzbomber88lx
01-07-2004, 01:02 PM
look at my post under off topic on shaved trim. i used bondo and it is holding out fine. bondo will work unlike how everyone says it wont it just depends on how you do it. pm me and i will tell you how to do it.

k-roy
01-07-2004, 01:17 PM
look at my post under off topic on shaved trim. i used bondo and it is holding out fine. bondo will work unlike how everyone says it wont it just depends on how you do it. pm me and i will tell you how to do it.

Didn't you just shave your trim? Time is the true test. Wait two years.

buzzbomber88lx
01-07-2004, 02:51 PM
it's just like bondoing anything else man.....like a rusted through 1/4 panel. my bro had a rusted through 1/4 on his capri and he has had bondo on it for 3 or 4 years and there is no cracks and no blemishes in the paint. I kicked the trim holes on my car after i bondoed and i kicked them good hehe and nothing fell out or anything.....I guess kicking could be a test...?

KoNEY
01-07-2004, 10:19 PM
no, it will work for a while, but you cant pile body filler on that thick, it will proboably not fall out, you're right, but it will do something worse, it'll crack all to hell, and it'll slowly do it over time as the bondo shrinks and expands with temp, also the metal expands and cotracts under the bondo, that will probably cause the bondo to fall out, because too much filler will no let the metal move, so pressure throws it out. definitley weld some metal in there, it'll pay off, and try to never go more than 1/4 in thick with body filler, either add metal, or use a dent puller........

danronian
01-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Actually i changed my mind now....just gonna paint the trim. But Bondo will help my rust problem....

Please read a book on bodywork and at the least cut out the rusted panel entirely and rivet in a new piece of sheet metal. A better option would be welding, but be sure to use as little bondo as possible. Normal bondo should only be used to smooth over the top of stranded fiberglass filler to smooth ajoined panels. It can also be used to help straighten body panels after block sanding shows slightly low spots. Before you get a paint job over globs of smoothed bondo, just be sure to read up and research the correct methods of how to use it. If you want a better explanation, just ask again about what you don't understand.

'A20A3'
01-09-2004, 01:10 PM
I have minimal rust, so Bondo should do the trick. Thanks for all the input everyone.