PDA

View Full Version : Might buy a new 3rd gen!

bobsaccord
01-05-2004, 03:33 PM
well since i got hit and some a-hole totaled out my old 3gen, im looking at buying a new one, theres this guy a couple of towns over selling his 88 hatchback L-Xi for about 1,400$, its not in bad shape, it just needs new tires, the paint can use a new paint job, and its got a lot of rust, it has 149,000 miles + change on it, and the interior isint in bad condition, except a few rips and tears in the seats, and im going 2 have to fix the window motors (damn electric windows, i hate them! cranks all the way!), but yea he took me for a test drive in it, and it seems to run fine, idles nice, runs smooth, decent shocks, hes even got a deck and speakers in it, so hey, less for me to do, so what u guys think, should i buy it? its in better condition then my CRX, that i might sell for 900 to this kid down the block, what u guys think?

k-roy
01-05-2004, 04:37 PM
I would try to talk it down to about a grand. It has a lot of little problems. How bad is the rust?

zero.counter
01-05-2004, 04:55 PM
I'd say; compression test, radiator pressurized test, check for oil leaks, check the color of the transmission fluid, pad and rotor clearance, underbody rust spots (very important), all safety features like seatbelts/blinkers/pop-ups/brake lights/etc., spark plugs for fouling of any kind and the wires for shorts or exposed elements, distributor components, belt condition, color of your coolant, hose deterioration, suspension linkage, among the more important things. Figure the cost of fixing such things, if it looks like a downhill battle you can:
A. Negotiate a lower price
B. Pass on this unfavorable deal

Rust, however, is a bad thing especially if it is affecting the frame of the body or underside panels (holes in the floor)...

cubert
01-05-2004, 06:30 PM
or you could just come buy my LX-i sedan for 1200 :cool2:

bobsaccord
01-05-2004, 07:12 PM
werd? is it in good condition? u dont live far from me

AccordEpicenter
01-05-2004, 09:47 PM
lol... he said "new 3rd gen"

Mike89Accordcom
01-06-2004, 12:00 AM
Take it to a mechanic have them check everything. Then your good to go.

cubert
01-06-2004, 02:54 AM
werd? is it in good condition? u dont live far from me
ill pm you the details sometime this morning..dont have time right this sec

Vinny
01-06-2004, 05:10 AM
lol... he said "new 3rd gen"

Thats what I thought when I saw it in new post, I was like damn a "new" 3rd gen :rolleyes:

nv88accord
01-09-2004, 05:15 PM
Hey, I live in MA
I have an 88 LX-i too in a very good condition.
PM me if you are interested. I have to sell it as I am moving.