PDA

View Full Version : Will I Ever Get A Break!!!

my86dx4dr
01-05-2004, 03:56 PM
WELL i woke up this morning and it was 17 degrees outside with a windchill of -12 lets just say i THOUGHT i had ANTIFREEZE in the radiater!! yea you can guess i was WRONG!! fucker froze solid, had to take it to the family honda shop thats 1 mile away, and by the time i got there it was a hairline away from overheating!! well took the radiater out and stuck it infront of a shop heater, and put heaters all around the car, IT WORKED! then i noticed the car is twice is loud, MY DAMN MUFFLER IS ABOUT TO FALL OFF ITS ALL PUSHED UP! it was just last week i replaced the damn alternater, and i was hopeing to replace the clutch next week! but o o o o i forgot to mention THE RADIATER IS NOW LEAKING SLOWLY! so on top of that i now hear a valve tapping, ok ok i just needed to vent, :uh: :pc: :banghead:

k-roy
01-05-2004, 04:27 PM
That sucks.
You had a too low ratio of antifreeze to water. The mixture frooze and cracked the radiator. In sub freezing conditions I like to run about 2/3 antifreeze to water.
The valve adjustment is pretty easy its in the howto section.

RustyHo88
01-05-2004, 07:26 PM
Gresham Oregon? -12??!?! that is insane! it NEVER got that cold when i lived in Oregon! In warm conditions, your supposed to keep the fluid at a 50/50 mixture. Under cold conditions, you are not supposed to mix higher than 70/30 (antifreeze/water). I keep mine about as antifreeze-rich as possible.

Cold sucks... unless you get lots of snow. God bless Upper Michigan :D

what viscocity oil do you use? are you sure your valve clearances dont need to be adjusted? if you do, and you still hear tapping, you might want to try a thicker oil. 20w-50 works well; we use 30w in our old ford taurus when it started knocking, and that was almost 50k miles ago. loosing your muffler isnt so bad; now your car will sound like it has a glass pack :lol: . If/when you replace your radiator, you should also replace your hoses, thermostat, and thermosensor.... but i probably don't need to insult your intelligence and suggest that. :D

Mystic1
01-05-2004, 11:27 PM
I know how you feel, its always one thing after another, but just when things can't get any worse they get better (only so they can get worse again). Don't trip too hard, rember your driving a 18 year old car. Things are going to happen.

my86dx4dr
01-05-2004, 11:46 PM
well i got down and looked at the muffler, the pipe blew strait off the muffler, the back half of the muffler is just dangling, the only thang holding it on is the front hanger, havnt taken it off yet, it DOES sound like it has a glasspack, but i cant do much till i get the cash, the radiater comes first, i think im just gonna have a tip welded onto it for like 20 bucks for the time being till i can do a strait catback, if i can find a muffler shop that will do a no muffler job, radiater seems to be dripping pretty constant, slowly though im worried about the fact my radiater support is bent because of a accedent last summer and i just threw a new hood on it, but my radiater is cuved so im not sure if a new strait one will fit!

Mystic1
01-06-2004, 02:16 PM
If its a slow leak I would try a stop leak first. If it works it will save you a lot of time and money. If you can find exactly where the leak is try to patch it. I fixed a leak in my dads RV with a product called quick steel; its like JB Weld but much stronger, easire to mix and apply. BTW that stuff is weld and drillable in about an hour.

Bloodlust
01-06-2004, 03:33 PM
damn that sucks man. bet that will put a hinder on your new clutch. hope it all works out though.