PDA

View Full Version : intermitant port for subs.

Immeraufdemhund
01-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Tell me what you think. I've been playing around with the idea of making a sub that has an intermitant port because i've been finding out that certain frequencies sound better with a totally sealed environment were as others work better when it has a good size port on it. (i found this out by downloading bass mechanics at 320kbs) I turned that sucker up and ran the one that did a scale from i think 80hz down to 20hz (my puter sub didn't hit 20hz very well) but at certain intervals i noticed that i could barely hear the sub so i put my hand over the port at those intervals and noticed a huge improvment on certain notes but then it went to sounding fake so then i let go of the port and it had a nice steady good sounding bass note...then it went back to being barely audible so i plugged up the port again and noticed a great improvment again... and it did that all the way down the scale. that was running it with altec lansing xa3021 (2.1) speakers. (by the way they rule for $40)... is that just my sub on my computer or could i adapt that to my sub in my car?

i bring this up because at certain times i can turn off my sub and not notice much of a difference in the song and in some songs the sub rattles too much which would mean i need a bigger port. So that's why i wonder about a variable port.... is there a formla that i'm missing? is there anything to my idea or am i just imagining thigns???? help a brotha out. peace.