View Full Version : Blow by problem???

guido28
01-05-2004, 06:45 PM
Here's the deal...

Newbie 3rd gen accord lx-i owner
purchased in n.y. for 500$ from an auction
drove down to miami no-prob
car would sputer at around 4000 r.p.m. and blow out smoke from tail
then would leak oil like a M***** F***** all night...
through another forum found out might be clogged pcv causing pressure in crankcase to blow oil from seals...
next nightmare was finding pcv and pcv box...found it and broke hose where it joins at pcv breather box...soooooooooo.........spent 1000$ for entire exaust system front to back which it needed anyway due to salt and water rust out from north...
but before doing that repair (and not minding exaust fumes flowing into car cabin from engine and not to mention embarrissing at stop lights) car ran super i mean i got it to 110 mph no sputter nothing no oil leak clean...
o.k. back to repair no more fumes engine quiet now no exaust sounds but whallah sputter, blow by from pcv hose, oil smoke from exaust(alot after 70 m.p.h.), oil residue in exaust piping and of course the oil leaks when car sitting off

W>T>F> happened checked pcv and it is clean as a whistle changed it again just for the hell of it and still problem what is going on here..

i love this car and want to restore it to its original splendor but man im goin through oil like nothin...help...

k-roy
01-05-2004, 07:26 PM
I would say your oil pan gasket was toasted from the blowout of the pcv. Thats why it is leaking onto the ground.

As for the oil IN the exaughst it is probably a bad valve stem seal. To be sure what color is the smoke coming from the tailpipe?

And why the hell did you spend a grand on the exaught? I hope you got a header, hi-flow cat and a nice muffler. I only spent $350 on my exaughst from the cat back.

nswst8
01-06-2004, 05:03 AM
Check your oil pressure switch, its on top of the oil filter base unit which also has a gasket since the base bolts to the engine block, also check to make sure there is only one oil filter gasket sometimes when people are in a hurry they don't check to make sure the old gasket is off before putting new filter on. :nuts:
But otherwise you must be descriptive where oil drops are forming, take a clean piece of cardboard place it under car when its going to sit overnight then let us know where on the cardboard the oil is ie: front drivers of engine, rear passenger side of engine etc.
Then we can be more helpful, but here are a few of the classic leaks.
Valve cover, Cam seal, Distributor seal, Crank seal, oil pan gasket, Rear main seal, Oil filter base gasket, drive axle seal (check oil level if Manual Transaxle)
PCV Drian off hose located rear of engine under oil filter its the hose returning to the side of the oil pan. LOL
NSWST8 :cheers:

guido28
01-06-2004, 08:05 AM
i went to a place that only specializes in honda/accord...yeah right i got hosed they use only o.e. parts but can you believe a newb like me had to tell them the pcv grommet was put on wrong they had it under the engine lip instead of on top with hose connected under the after the 1,000 dollar job (no header mind you just stock from manifold, pcv box back and pipes to muffler) they had the balls to tell me they will do the brakes for 159 well i bought pads for 20 and did it myself in 10 minutes(nice removing caliper with only one bolt...) anyway i need to steam the engine then watch closely one day that is the only way...color of smoke is white by the way

thanks...

guido28
01-06-2004, 08:08 AM
[oil seems to be heavy at front center slightly to driver side they told me timing belt seal is bad but i cant figure how that would affect the bogging down of engine and smoke out tail also i checked ecu this morning and im getting a 6 i think thats for the ect sensor (coolant) right...

shepherd79
01-06-2004, 12:46 PM
check your coolant level. check the coolant for oil. if you have oil in your coolant, you blew the head gasket.

guido28
01-06-2004, 01:19 PM
no coolant is clean rad has no oxidation its good...

i have to steam it so i can pinpoint leak but how oil is getting into exaust and bogging engine is confusing the heck out of me