PDA

View Full Version : Buying 89 Prelude... Questions/Comments on swap.

HondaManDan
01-05-2004, 10:03 PM
I'm buying a 89 Honda Prelude for 400 bucks... It's pretty nice. However, I was thinking. Considering the body of the prelude is kinda shitty and my accord is near perfect... could i just swap the Prelude motor? I know this is possible... and it'd give me an awesome chance to take appart the motor and rebuild. However, isnt there a way to swap a B-16 head onto the DOHC 2.0 Prelude?
There's other options too considering im planning to race my accord... so I could always just keep the prelude as a road car, however... It's an auto, and it's 2 door.. Decisions...

Gimmie some comments on what you think would be the best idea. Thanks

BITESIZE
01-05-2004, 10:06 PM
ummm.....it would be possible to swap the engine, but it would not be fun. The engine mounts are way different and the engine sits closer to the firewall then the A20 engine does.

HondaManDan
01-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Damn... Hmmm... Think Im best off to fix up the prelude? They can be pretty fast.. i know that for a fact... however the whole Auto Tranny thing is a bummer. do those swap out same as the 3geez?

BITESIZE
01-05-2004, 10:57 PM
... however the whole Auto Tranny thing is a bummer. do those swap out same as the 3geez?

Couldn't be much different, I don't know if the clutch is Hydro or cable though. It can only be as hard as you make it. It's not hard it just takes time.

k-roy
01-05-2004, 11:18 PM
Yea the motor will not swap very easily. Not really worth it either. I think you have around 130 HP, plus its a dohc. The 84-87 Ludes had the same motor as us.
The tranny swap should not be too much harder than a 3G. You will need a new ECU, axles, shifter, pedels, flywheel, clutch and a few small parts

BITESIZE
01-05-2004, 11:23 PM
How to do a 5 speed swap............http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=102
Mine and the 3geez style way :bow:

88LXi68
01-06-2004, 08:18 AM
I'm buying a 89 Honda Prelude for 400 bucks... It's pretty nice. However, I was thinking. Considering the body of the prelude is kinda shitty and my accord is near perfect... could i just swap the Prelude motor? I know this is possible... and it'd give me an awesome chance to take appart the motor and rebuild. However, isnt there a way to swap a B-16 head onto the DOHC 2.0 Prelude?
There's other options too considering im planning to race my accord... so I could always just keep the prelude as a road car, however... It's an auto, and it's 2 door.. Decisions...

Gimmie some comments on what you think would be the best idea. Thanks

If you are getting an 89 Lude than you will have a 3g lude. If you are getting an 84-87 Lude its a 2g. If its a 3g you can swap an H22A with mounts from Place Racing. 2g lude = B-series swap mounts from Place Racing.

HondaManDan
01-06-2004, 11:39 AM
Oh, my mistake it's a 3G lude. I should change that lol. . Hmm. I could get an H22 for a few hundred or a grand at most. Hmm... Sounds like a possible plan

AccordEpicenter
01-06-2004, 06:11 PM
its prolly got that b20a5 engine... those arent anything special.

k-roy
01-06-2004, 06:32 PM
its prolly got that b20a5 engine... those arent anything special.

Nothing too special but its a decent place to start. Its not a normal B series like the Integras, it has differant mounts. I don't know if a B swap is feasable. You would be better off with some nice parts and a turbo.

HondaManDan
01-06-2004, 09:56 PM
Yeah, i was thinking turbo, because it'd be nice on an enige with that angle to it. I could also do pisons, cams, gears, 5spd, port and polish, injectors, rail, and tons of other things to make it fast. I thought it had the same engine as the 93 Integras... ?

BITESIZE
01-06-2004, 10:19 PM
Nope, just a B20A5, sister to the B20A engine found in our JDM 3geez cars. Nothing special.

k-roy
01-06-2004, 10:23 PM
I thought it had the same engine as the 93 Integras... ?

I just got a 2nd gen Integra and I can tell you without a doubt that it is much differant than the Prelude. I have done a little tinkering on a 90Si lude and its a lot differant. I highly doubt the tranny would even bolt up to the block.

Check out www.preludepower.com for some good info on preludes

BootMachine
01-07-2004, 10:35 AM
You just bought a Gen-3 B20A prelude. You wanted a Gen-2 A20A prelude with the Accord chassis!

You will find that swaps are very hard to do because of the year of your car. You will also find that your oil pump on the B20A will fail....

YOu also can not swap a JDM-B20A Gold Top engine even though you have a USDM B20A egine...they are not the same...sorry for the bad news!

Oh...and just about nothing from the Gen-2 goes on the Gen-3!

Cyric_accord
01-07-2004, 11:23 AM
www.preludepower.com might have some answers for ya.... they have a few group buys going on right now... and it may be possible (unsure) to bolt in a B21 from a 90-91 lude SI, few more horsies and stuff... do the 5-speed swap as well, but better off just sticking a H22 in there

HondaManDan
01-07-2004, 01:44 PM
Yeah i was thinking the H22 might be the way to go. SO the 2nd Gen Lude's the one with the Accord Chasis. Hmm. THey also came witht he same motor though, that's why the mounts are the same.
You'd figure that with DOHC and fuel injection that the Lude would make more than 130. Considering my 3G witht he SOCH Carb makes like 92. However, 40 hp is a big jump nomatter who you ask.