PDA

View Full Version : SEI rear brake conversion (good or bad)

smufguy
01-06-2004, 12:08 PM
Well the junkyard i went to had a SE-i and i asked the guy that i know owns the yard for how much he would sell me both the rear conversion parts including the disks brakes, brake lines, parking break lines and everything u need for the conversion and he said he would give it to me for 120 bux for everything. Is it a good asking price? I know im excited and wanted to BS on the general section. :D man...... its fun using the general section.

Sabz5150
01-06-2004, 12:40 PM
GO FOR IT!!!! I don't think you'll need the lines though. You'll need the master cylinder and proportioning valve (sp) to make it work. 120 dollars is a damn good deal in my opinion.

Vinny
01-06-2004, 12:41 PM
Yeah thats a good price for everything (knuckles, e brake cable, prop valve and all) I'da brought the stuff home right then

Gregg86DX
01-06-2004, 01:54 PM
Hell yeah, I'd do it for $120 bucks. If nuthin else, you could probably turn around a sell it for a profit. :)

k-roy
01-06-2004, 02:11 PM
Damn thats a deal. I had a yard tell me $250 once. I yelled "Screw you a-hole" over the phone.

RobT5580
01-06-2004, 02:14 PM
Yeah that is a good price i paid about that for mine when me and steve went and got ours. But he cut us a deal since we only had one full setup and one half setup but steve didnt need both sides so it worked out well. But im rebuilding mine and its been a project cause im sandblasting and powdercoating it all and sandblasting is taking a long time because of my small compressor.

BITESIZE
01-06-2004, 02:18 PM
Damn, I'd kill to find a se-i at the salvage yard.

autox7
01-06-2004, 03:21 PM
FWIW, on New Year's day the junkyard in Fresno, CA was having a 1/2 off sale. I went in there empty handed and came out with the following:

1. Complete rear disk set up off of an SE-I. We are talking upper and lower control arms, hubs, brake pads (look brand new), calipers, rotors, and lines. The only thing that I did not get was the parking brake cables (dumbass me!!!)

2. 2 GREAT looking seats out of a prelude. No rips, no tears look like new.

3. 1 driver's side headlight bucket and headlight.

4. hood trim

5. 1 set (4) of acura integra wheels and tires.

6. 1 new windshield resevoir

For everything I paid $200. I think that I got a pretty good deal.

carotman
01-06-2004, 03:29 PM
You need the E-brake cable and the rear brake lines. The flex line that attach to the frame is not needed however since it's the same as the drum brake line.

Rendon LX-i
01-06-2004, 04:04 PM
yeah I would get that deal. There aint shit here for SE-i's. I want to do that in the future also. Tell me how it comes out. And how hard it was

nswst8
01-06-2004, 08:01 PM
Was just talking to a junkyard via Email for the disc brake conversion, He wanted $200 + S&H. So I would tell you to go straight back to that yard and pull it. If not tell me the name and I'll call and have it shipped to me.
NSWST8

RobT5580
01-06-2004, 08:38 PM
Most places go nuts cause they know the Sei is hard to come by thankfully steve came across 2 when he was getting parts so we went back the next day and took them off but steve didnt say they were off a sei so i think that helped us out as well cause the guy wanted like $200 each or something when he asked the day before. I would have liked some with less rust but im re-building them all so it dont matter to me.

smufguy
01-07-2004, 09:52 AM
You need the E-brake cable and the rear brake lines. The flex line that attach to the frame is not needed however since it's the same as the drum brake line.

Can you go in detail about which brake line we need carot?

I made up my mind that im getting it. :D I am going there tomorrow to pull it out and pretty soon. I am gonna have it on mine. Man....... one of the great mods are yet to come. Even tho i need brake shoes in the rear, i would rather get the discs and be glad with it.

PhydeauX
01-07-2004, 10:25 AM
You need the soft line that connects to the caliper. You really should buy those parts new, brake hoses are a wear part and not that expensive. The hose that goes from the hard line on the chassis to the suspension is the same, thought its not a bad idea to replace those to while your at it ;).

andy

smufguy
01-07-2004, 09:36 PM
thanks andy. Ill do that. Im gonna go take a look at it tomorrow and tell them not to touch that shit. Im gonna wait a while to buy it anyway. Im gonna remove them, but wait a while due to lack of funds. :D

carotman
01-10-2004, 12:23 PM
You will also need the hard line located on the trailing arm (that's the line between the caliper soft line and the chassis soft line)

This replaces the hard line going into the wheel cylinders

Mike's89AccordLX
01-10-2004, 12:39 PM
Damn I have never seen a SEI in the junkyard. I might try and see if I can find an online junkyard to get me a conversion.

Justin86
01-10-2004, 01:07 PM
Yea I got all the parts for the swap I just need to get all new pads and discs.

wprocomp
01-10-2004, 04:23 PM
I did my swap and I am using all the stock DX parking brake assembly and porprotioning valve...and it stops on a dime...the only that I have diff is the stainless brake lines and the mastercylinder...

smufguy
01-10-2004, 11:51 PM
well seems like i might not be doing this swap at all. The stupid car has wheel locks on it and its bitter cold now and i dont wanna spend 120 bucks that i dont have for my brakes that i might as well spend 40 bucks on new shoes for the rear. I think i might later on buy a SeI and be happy with it.

But it was a temptation none the less. but God knows whats good for me and i guess i knew that pretty soon before i got involved. Thanks for the help again fells. seems like some of the projects need to be dropped out due to the cost benefit ratios huh. :(

Justin86
01-12-2004, 12:15 PM
I did my swap and I am using all the stock DX parking brake assembly and porprotioning valve...and it stops on a dime...the only that I have diff is the stainless brake lines and the mastercylinder...
I thought you had to use the Se-i porprotioning valve, if I can use keep my Lx one I will cause the nuts that hold on the brake line they just want to strip and that is the only thing I can't get off my Se-i.

autox7
01-12-2004, 12:56 PM
I would imagine that in a perfect world you would want to use the SE-i proportioning valve. The valve on the LX should work, but in a threshold braking situation, things would be less than ideal.

It really comes down to what kind of driving you are going to be doing. If you are just driving the car on the streets, and want the rear disks for looks and ease of maintenance, then the LX valve should work just fine.

If you are like me and have every intention of taking your car to road courses and autocrosses, I am going to use the SE-i proportioning valve becasue I want to KNOW that my brakes are working as they are supposed to.

The other option would be to just buy a new valve from an auto parts store and use that, instead of re-using the one from your parts car.

Justin86
01-12-2004, 01:29 PM
Well I like to push my car to the limit thats why I need the better brakes. It is hard to stop when you are pushing +130mph

wprocomp
01-12-2004, 07:37 PM
I have autocrossed my car as well and there is little fade...I will eventually put an SEI valve on the car,even with the car I got it off of had the sei valve and I havent felt any diff at all

Justin86
01-13-2004, 09:41 AM
well hopefully I can get the damn brake lines off the valve with out stripping the nuts.

k-roy
01-13-2004, 10:05 AM
Damn I have never seen a SEI in the junkyard. I might try and see if I can find an online junkyard to get me a conversion.

Ever gone to a yard and have them say they do not have the part but they can get it for you?
here is what they use, its a national database of yards. www.car-part.com

nswst8
01-13-2004, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the line,
NSWST8 :cheers: