PDA

View Full Version : Head light motor?

Justin86
01-07-2004, 04:22 PM
A few days ago my left headlight motor stopped working. No biggie I have an extra. So I pulled the motor out and tested it and my extra and they work fine, but hooked up to the car they don't work. I checked the fuses and they are all fine. I'm at a total loss here and I'm getting tired of manualy rasing that light up and down! :confused:

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Check for current at the motor connector when you raise or lower the headlights, you might have a break in the wiring somewhere or a problem with the fuses (I know that you checked those, but you never know).

RustyHo88
01-07-2004, 08:51 PM
if one headlight is going up and down fine, but not the other... and the problem isnt your retractor motors, then its probably your retractor relays. download pauls manual to find out how to test them. Theyre located behing the batter (towards the front bumper). you cant see them, and theyre kind of hard to get at.

Justin86
01-08-2004, 09:28 AM
Check for current at the motor connector when you raise or lower the headlights, you might have a break in the wiring somewhere or a problem with the fuses (I know that you checked those, but you never know).

I think it is somewhere in the wiring. When my dads gets home I will do some more test to see if the power is actually getting there or not. I have the manual and what is says about the relay is that if it is bad both headlights won't go up. :rolleyes:

smufguy
01-08-2004, 10:44 AM
there are two different relays for the two headlights. So yeah, one headlight might go up and down but the other might not.

swap the relays and see if it works. If it does, then its your relay. Pull a couple from the junkyard and it should work. Mine had that problem. Both relays were shot for some weird ass reason. now its all fixed and good. The motors never go bad and so should the relays, but seems like these relays go bad due to repeated usage over the years and also being exposed to the dirt and rain and what not.

Justin86
01-08-2004, 11:04 AM
I look in the manual and it didn't tell me much if only one light will work. Well I have plenty of spare parts so I will take a look when I get home. So I guess the relay is next to the radiator? In the manual it dosen't mention a relay for the motors, weird?