PDA

View Full Version : lowing car for $215.00

hondaaccord_86
07-01-2002, 02:19 PM
i went to a local performance shop, Autolink, and they said they would lower my 86 accord, for $215. that includes the "springs, labor... everything." thats what the guy told me. Is that a good deal? Do I need to ask if there is anything else I'll need to lower my car? coilovers? struts? shocks?

89AccordDXHB
07-01-2002, 03:00 PM
I consider that an average price. But if you want to be thorough, what springs are being offered? What are the separate prices for the springs and labor. Maybe you can buy the springs there and have the labor done somewhere else for less or vise versa.

If your having suspension work done maybe you can spend a some more to replace the shocks and bushings. If you have it done all at once you should save on labor since it's being done all at one time.

Ever consider doing it yourself? I'm sure you can get enough advice on this board for help.

Just a thought.

Jims 86LXI HB
07-01-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by hondaaccord_86
i went to a local performance shop, Autolink, and they said they would lower my 86 accord, for $215. that includes the "springs, labor... everything." thats what the guy told me. Is that a good deal? Do I need to ask if there is anything else I'll need to lower my car? coilovers? struts? shocks?

Oh yes, you'll need some firmer performance struts. All lowering springs are stiffer, you need to install struts that are likewise firmer. Consider tokico H.P.'s are the uneasy starting point, since several members have mentioned that they are on the soft side in the front. But they are cheap at $235 from shox.com A much better choice, though expensive are Koni specials $424, also from shox.com

Since their really isn't such a thing a springs cheaper than $100, likely the shop is charging you $115 for labor. Install the springs yourself and use your savings to install the struts you really need to go with them. Example, 2" suspension techniques speed tech springs from www.fastfours.com for only $97 and if you can't afford the koni struts, add $235 for the Tokico's = $332 Its really not that hard to install them yourself, just buy yourself a spring compressor and use the how to thats on this board.

POS carb
07-02-2002, 09:43 AM
that guy is probably just swapping your springs for that much money. get struts!

jigga225
07-03-2002, 05:19 PM
man you gotta break bread if you wanna be slammed....

87DXHatch
07-12-2002, 09:18 PM
Geez jigga, always with the ebonics! :D j/k

How much are spring compressors and can you get them from like a Napa Store?

YK86
07-12-2002, 09:39 PM
I got my spring compressors made by JET tools (they also make impact sockets and stuff) for $40 CAD (so about $25 US).

87DXHatch
07-13-2002, 02:06 PM
You can work the spring compressor by hand, right? I don't need to have an air compressor, right?

Jims 86LXI HB
07-13-2002, 03:08 PM
Yeah you can work them by hand. But because the threads are really close together you'll be turning that wrench for what seems like f-o-r-e-v-e-r.:D