PDA

View Full Version : headlights dim when system is on

usmc2004
01-08-2004, 09:59 AM
when i have my amp on everytime the bass hits every light on my car dims to almost nothing can you please help me on this :cheers:

Wild LX-i
01-08-2004, 10:08 AM
Try investing in a compacitor. You can go "fancy" with it too, a Digital Top or a Digital Top with a power distribution block.

POS carb
01-08-2004, 10:19 AM
get a capacitor, minimum of 1 farad per 1000 watts
also make sure your battery is up to par. Excessive dimming means your alt can't keep up or your battery is almost dead
other options include dual battery system, better alt., a class D bass amp. If you're pushing over 1000 watts you should really consider upgrading you alt, I didn't and I cooked it to where the windings would break off like breaking a cracker.

red97lxscort
01-08-2004, 02:07 PM
one often over looked thing is if a couple strands of the power wire are grounding out or the like. not enough to blow a fuse, but it will draw a lot of power and put crazy stress on ur electrical system. I have a 400w lanzar amp bridged pushing a 15" JL and i have a DVD/tv tuner, 7" screen, 8 disk changer and a playstation and i invested in a new alt. and battery and it works perfect. I would check all connections, then invest in a new alt. and at least clean off ur battery terminals really well, if not get a new battery. A cap will help, but a nice, new charging system will be well worth the money. just some tips from experience, take em or leave em.

88accordalltheway
01-08-2004, 06:01 PM
i just replaced my battery 2 days ago(cause it died) and i had the same problem with the lights dimming. Lights still dim a tiny bit, but barly noticable. I plan to get a cap and a new altanator to get rid of the prob completely.

Rendon LX-i
01-08-2004, 06:12 PM
The only thing u need to get is a high power compacitor. My shit did that alot got a 1500 watt one. it sloved my problem. or get a higher voltage alternater. laters

danronian
01-08-2004, 09:18 PM
Before jumping to a capacitor, upgrade all the engine bay grounds to 2-gauge. It should be done either way and is a ton cheaper then a capacitor. 87DXHATCH (I am pretty sure) had a 1000watt system and stock alt. with upgraded grounds and he claimed that he had minimal dimming.

pmip
01-08-2004, 09:37 PM
Before jumping to a capacitor, upgrade all the engine bay grounds to 2-gauge. It should be done either way and is a ton cheaper then a capacitor. 87DXHATCH (I am pretty sure) had a 1000watt system and stock alt. with upgraded grounds and he claimed that he had minimal dimming.

Yeah, upgrade "The Big 3" (alternator to battery, battery to amps, and chassis ground) with as thick of wire as possible, and a more efficient amp (at least for the sub) will help out a lot. I am running 1300 watts rms (confirmed @ 13.6 volts) right now and the only noticable dimming of the lights is when the system is cranked well beyond the comfortable level. All I have is 0 guage wire throughout, a class a/b amp running at 4 ohms, and a class D sub amp running at 1 ohm.

Hash_man_Se_i
01-09-2004, 12:20 AM
I invested in a cap, and it helped a bit, but I think I need to redo my grounds, becuase i still get slight dimming, and I have a new battery and alternator.

Rendon LX-i
01-09-2004, 09:26 AM
yeah good ground to. I forgot to say that but Pmip said it. But I got a 3 gauge wire for my ground its in the back i put it on the body so its good ground. that would help your amp to. less stress on it.

grey87accorddx
01-12-2004, 09:25 AM
I'll put my 2 cents in here ok first of all get a optima yellow top battery, a rebuilt alternator (higher amps), as for a power cap I think that they are useless cause depending on the bass that u are hitting the cap will be empty on the first hit then u still are using the battery volts. I have the yellow top and a rebuilt alternator and mine does fine the lights still dim a lil at idle with the car in gear but after that they are nice and bright

soljaboy2000
01-12-2004, 04:00 PM
Should do a dual battery setup using an isolator. This is what I am doing to build my ultimate sound sytem : (2)8" Audiobahn Subs, (2) 10" Audiobahn Subs, (4)6.5" Kenwoods for door and rear, 800W kenwood amp, 280W Audiobahn Amp, 840W Audiobahn Amp, Kenwood 50w X4 HU. I using Optima Yellow Top Battery just for system only in trunk. I am about 60% complete. I need wood panels to sucure amps etc. instead of drilling into car. Well I have diagram of my setup my car domain page.

FWDburnout
01-16-2004, 01:46 AM
Yeah all you need is to get a couple high power caps that will take car of you problem. if not you have a wiring problem.

Bryan
01-17-2004, 03:00 PM
You should either get a capacitor, or you should get a the special battery made for a sound system I think it's called a yellow top or something like that. I have two caps and sometimes it still dims.....maybe it's time for a new battery.

Laun0
04-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Deleted..wrong thread... sry.

Bass Man
04-13-2008, 12:57 AM
New thread I started.