PDA

View Full Version : heater control wiring schematic

smufguy
01-08-2004, 11:00 AM
Hella fellas.

Well im trying to use the 4th gen heater controls for my 3g. The fan wiring code match up exactly. The 3g has 4 fan speeds, Lo, med1, med2, Hi. Seems like the 4g has 6 fan speeds since there are 2 wires left out.

Here is the wiring code for the 3g for the fan

Lo >> Blue
Med1 >> Blue/White
Med 2 >> Blue/Yellow
Hi >> Blue/Black
Ground >> Black

here are the wires for the 4g fan contro

Blue
Blue/White
Blue/Yellow
Blue/Black
Blue/Red (unknown)
Green (unknown)

I dont know what the blue/red and the green one does. Does anyone know?

Also for the Circulation Switches or function switches you may call it. I cant figure out which wires go for which. I dont know what wires are for the

Vent
Hi/Lo
heat
H/def
DEf

Recir
Fresh

AC
Ground>> black

Also for the 4th gen, this is all the wires i have for the function switches

Blue
Blue/Red
Red
Red/Black
Yellow/Green
Green/red
Lt.green/red
Green/white
Blue/Red
Green
Yellow/black
Black
Lt.Green/Black
Lt.Green/White

I dont know what these wires do and what wires are for the 3g. I am pretty sure they are compatable cause the 4g uses the same positions for the vents and stuff and the recirculation and AC.

Thanks a bunch guys.

Vinny
01-08-2004, 11:31 AM
Here you go Praveen this is what I gathered out of my 88 electrical Service Manual for the Heater Controls

LT GRN/WHT = Vent Control Output
LT GRN/BLK = Hi-Lo Control Input
YEL/GRN = HEAT Control input
BLU/RED = H-Def Control Input
BLU = Def Control Input
LT GRN/RED = Ground between Heater function control motor and control panel
BLK = Ground
RED/BLK = Dash and Console Lights
GRN/WHT = Fresh Position fresh/rec motor
GRN/RED = Rec Position Fresh/Rec Motor
YLW/BLK = appears to be power input

Theres a listing for a green wire off the blower switch that lists as going to the heater control Panel, but I don't see it on the HCP diagram (of course I'm feeling under the weather so it MIGHT be there and I'm missing it)

Edit I found it I think it was on the Fans and A/C diagram. It looks like it goes to the AC switch

smufguy
01-08-2004, 09:44 PM
Got the fan to work. It works fine

Tomorrow im gonna finish up the function switches and then im on a roll baby. Just gotta get the knobs and i got myself an easy to use heater controls.

Besides the 4th gen Controls fit snuggly into the 3g heater control area and its pretty compact and clean compared to our stock one.

Well ill put up a write up on the how to on my website once i am done with it :D

smufguy
01-20-2004, 08:55 AM
to come back here. THe conversion is done. The wiring for the vent and ac and recir controls are exact match. 14 wires on the 3g and 14 wires on the 4g and they are exactly coded and works fine.

The fan controls are the same, except our 3g is a 4speed and the 4g is a 5speed. which is the Blue with red stripe wire. I am gonna just run it directly to the blower.

It looks soo much better and i still have add some finishing touches to it. Much easier with the dials compared to the sliders.

THe only problem is the heater selection. after this conversion, when u turn the knob to the heat u get cold air, u turn it to cold u get warm air. Seems like i have to play with the heater inlet valve in the engine bay near the fire wall. Turn it upside down or something.

Thanks for the help tho vinny