PDA

View Full Version : fuel gauge problem

carfreak
01-08-2004, 10:48 PM
Ok, i looked in my service manual for my 86 honda accord lx and it said my gas tank holds about 16 gallons... is that correct? because when my gauge reads empty and i fill it back up, it fills up to about 10 gallons... I tried to go just trusting the manual that it holds 16 gallons so i drove for a long time after where it normaly would say empty. But then the yellow low gas warning light came on, so i went an filled 'er back up... still only about 10 gallons... Is my gas gauge wrong or does my gas tank only hold around 10 gallons?

Oh, and if my gauge is wrong, is it that hard to replace the varible resistor that the float is attached to?

BITESIZE
01-08-2004, 10:52 PM
Shouldn't be to hard to change the thingy. I changed my fuel pump, that was a breeze. Your car should hold 15.9 gallons, there is def. something wrong.

SteveDX89
01-09-2004, 05:01 AM
Definitely a 16 gallon tank. All 3g's had them that size. If you want to verify that's true, the only way is run it dry. Unless you fix your gauge first. :cool2:

carfreak
01-09-2004, 09:49 AM
ok, i will get the gauge fixed sometime. But for a temp fix how much miles do you guys get on one tank of gas so i can just check on my odometer (sp?) when it should be empty.