PDA

View Full Version : prelude tranny swap in an 89 accord

KaZzAm_ThA_gR8
01-09-2004, 10:31 AM
i have an 89 accord LX with a 5 speed in it, i am curious to know if the prelude tranny and motor is the same as the a20 in my accord, if it is will it bolt on or do i have to change axles and clutch assemblies with the prelude, also i am looking to tune 200 all motor hp with the carbed motor. if all else fails i have a B20Z (CRV motor) with integra type R head, civic type R cams, and spoon cam gears. the tranny is integra type R with a stage 4 centerforce clutch. its gonna be a race motor so i hope to break 12's in my 4 door accord. can some one help me with the A20 motor before i dive into a motor swap. :bong: :bong:

k-roy
01-09-2004, 12:18 PM
The 84-87 Preludes had a A20 with a bit better ratios in the tranny. If you want a lsd you can get a Integra tranny and put a lsd in it for better performance. Check the howto section.

BootMachine
01-09-2004, 12:21 PM
84-87 Preludes came with 1.8L Carbed engines and 2.0L FI engines!

The tranni that goes on the 1.8L has a wider ratio than the 2.0L. I have a 2.0L tranni if you want it!

Mike's89AccordLX
01-09-2004, 01:07 PM
I might want an 87 Prelude Si tranny to mess around with. I planned to do the swap next year during school.

BootMachine
01-09-2004, 01:21 PM
I might want an 87 Prelude Si tranny to mess around with. I planned to do the swap next year during school.

Well then you need to remember who I am!

I have a few SI trannis around you can have. All is diff. shape / condition and all at diff prices!

Send me a PM when it comes time.

Offer is good unless I die!
:beat:

rjudgey
01-09-2004, 01:36 PM
gearbox to use is acura 1st gen integra gear ratios are sweet 1st and 2nd are same as ludes but 3,4,5 are higher ratio which gives ally good acceleration, but only if you engine can pull the revs! what you have to remember is that a d16 was designed to redline at 7200rpm so box was designed to make advantage of that, but what i was expecting was 5th to be so bad at cruising 80mph and revs are 4k! and topend speed is cutoff quite a lot 140mph starts to max out old box would easily pull to 150+mph but you can swap the fifth gear over and keep the others which is a good comprimise.
my engine is turned to 8k rpm and igear speeds are 1st 45mph, 2nd 75mph, 3rd 110mph, 4th 130mph and 5th 140+mph.
also worth nicking prelude 1.8 flywheel as its lighter especially when machined, and i found out that AP make plates for them and combined with AP 3,4,6 puck 200mm cerametalic solid hub disc makes for a really good strong/ cheap upgrade, probably not good for sean but for anyone running 250bhp or less should be fine! all my plates are good just keep breaking the discs which fall apart after 1000 miles!
you'll need accord bell housing but teg box will fit with a small mod or just use the insides, also race spec bearings can be bought for box for high speed use, and also phantom grip do a clutch lsd and i think a quaife geared lsd from a early civic can be used but diff gear ring needs to be changed, i'm looking into this with quaife but need to go down there with my spare diff to find out for 100%.

BootMachine
01-09-2004, 01:47 PM
Good info!

Didnt know that about the teggi box. Maybe I'll put that on my lude! Who knows!

KoNEY
01-09-2004, 02:26 PM
i have the 2.0 si lude 5-speed tranny in my accord, its a little different than my accord tranny, id do it, the acceleration is a little better, not sure about top speed though, i dont normally top my accord out

BootMachine
01-09-2004, 02:43 PM
i have the 2.0 si lude 5-speed tranny in my accord, its a little different than my accord tranny, id do it, the acceleration is a little better, not sure about top speed though, i dont normally top my accord out

yeah I dont care about 5th gear. I never go faster than like 160 170 KMS/H max.

I have only gone 220 a few times before....

Gregg86DX
01-09-2004, 03:53 PM
rjudgey,

What do you know about the Accord B20A transmission? Do the internals on these swap with anything? How about an LSD? Any info you have would be helpful.

Gregg

gearbox to use is acura 1st gen integra gear ratios are sweet 1st and 2nd are same as ludes but 3,4,5 are higher ratio which gives ally good acceleration, but only if you engine can pull the revs! what you have to remember is that a d16 was designed to redline at 7200rpm so box was designed to make advantage of that, but what i was expecting was 5th to be so bad at cruising 80mph and revs are 4k! and topend speed is cutoff quite a lot 140mph starts to max out old box would easily pull to 150+mph but you can swap the fifth gear over and keep the others which is a good comprimise.
my engine is turned to 8k rpm and igear speeds are 1st 45mph, 2nd 75mph, 3rd 110mph, 4th 130mph and 5th 140+mph.
also worth nicking prelude 1.8 flywheel as its lighter especially when machined, and i found out that AP make plates for them and combined with AP 3,4,6 puck 200mm cerametalic solid hub disc makes for a really good strong/ cheap upgrade, probably not good for sean but for anyone running 250bhp or less should be fine! all my plates are good just keep breaking the discs which fall apart after 1000 miles!
you'll need accord bell housing but teg box will fit with a small mod or just use the insides, also race spec bearings can be bought for box for high speed use, and also phantom grip do a clutch lsd and i think a quaife geared lsd from a early civic can be used but diff gear ring needs to be changed, i'm looking into this with quaife but need to go down there with my spare diff to find out for 100%.

rjudgey
01-09-2004, 04:15 PM
sorry never actually seen a b20 tranny out of engine, not my speciality, drove a stock one in a u.k spec 2g lude and was actually shocked how slow it was compared to mine! liked the brakes though very good for stock. if i ever come across a really mint one i might switch over to b20 lude for a daily driver. i just love my a20/a18 hybrid so much!
i would have thought that theres a good chance honda used same internals, everything from 86 onwards to 89 all seem to have same diff and axle connections, everything from prelude, accord, civic that was 1.6si 16v, 1.8 12v, 2.0 12v, or 2.0si 16v bell housings are all different as well as flywheels and clutches. prelude 2.0si 16v is high ratio gears remember review of car and the writer commented on the lack of cruise gear! but as rpm limit is lower than the d16 i would have thought that the ratio's are a little taller in 5th gear but who knows? Honda really have a bad habbit of making everything so individual!

Bronx89lx
01-13-2004, 12:11 AM
In total Honesty a swap is not the way to go if u do not have mulla in abundance. My best friend did a swap a he is still dishing out money on that thing to many probs wit a swap. Too much money.Build up the a20 from bottom up.

Justin86
01-13-2004, 10:08 AM
The B20Z would be a good engine but everything would have to be custom done. $$$

89 Accords Rock
02-05-2004, 06:23 AM
I did the swap in my accord. It was way worth the 25 bucks i paid to do it! I got the tranny for free, But make sure you also buy a new clucth at the same time you do the swap! cuz its a hassle to put a new clucth in once the tranny has already been done! and make sure you get a accord clucth cable cuz the prelude on is way DIFF! LOL Any questions just pm me!

rjudgey
02-05-2004, 10:42 AM
you sure about this b20z block and b18c head just looked at two pics of the headgaskets for each although at first glance they look very similar there are a few extra holes on the type-r head that t e b20z gasket doesn't have? that and the bores are 3mm bigger ? now i know a b18c head/cranks/rods/pistons drop straight into a b16 which early ones came with cable clutch rather than hydraulic which made them easier to swap i would keep your head and look for another block unless various bits can be welded to mate the two together.

wannaswapab20
02-08-2004, 07:43 PM
does the whole integra tranny bolt to the a20?

Sean
02-08-2004, 08:48 PM
does the whole integra tranny bolt to the a20?

no.

as for building the a20a. theres not another block made by honda that even comes close to the power this thing can take.

wannaswapab20
02-08-2004, 09:02 PM
i mite see on gettign 3-5th gears out of the teg tranny to play with down the road.