PDA

View Full Version : Low idle

Goldfinger89
01-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Hey guys. Recently I've noticed that once my car, 89 lxi coupe 5spd, is warmed up, the idle wants to stay at about 500 rpm's. If I rev it up to about 2 grand and let off of the gas, the rpm's will drop to almost nothing and then it picks back up to about 500 rpm's. What can be causing the car to suddenly start ideling low and almost stall after you rev it a bit. I'm not talking about revving it like a kid, but just to about 2k and then off. Is is possible that the timing is off? The timing belt was changed at 240,000 and it now has 271,000 so the timing should be correct. Give me some clues please. Thanks.

accordlxi2.0
01-09-2004, 09:20 PM
maybe it's time to clean the injetcor's.
check 4 codes first.
could b your air cleaner too.
or the iac has been set too low.

BITESIZE
01-09-2004, 09:34 PM
Shiz, I wish mine would go below 1,000 rpm's...........ever! :)

nswst8
01-09-2004, 10:13 PM
I had a similar problem, but I had a bad throttle cable, replaced it, idle adjusted and for the most part it idles well I also flushed and switched back to the original honda thermastat. I'v been reading alot of post and come to understand that bubbles in your cooling system can have an affect on your idle. Some of the guys have been refering to that cooling valve on the throttle intake that the two small coolant hoses attach to can have an affect on the idle. It is said to remove the two top screws and use a large screw driver to tighten or adjust some valve in there, might be worth a try. There is a thread with a diagram posted you might try a search for.
Its called the "fast idle valve" it is suppose to prevent the the idle from dropping when the coolant reaches operating temperature, This seems to be a good area to start.
Hope this helps. LOL
NSWST8 :cheers:

nswst8
01-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Hey my friend, I just turned the page to the honda service manual the one Honda sells and this is what it advises.
Symton: When warm RPM too low

a) Idle speed is below specified rpm.
b) Idle speed does not increase after intial start up.
c) On models with automatic transmission, the idle speed drops in gear.
d) Idle speed drops when air conditioning is on.

Check: Electronic Air Control Valve first.

It basically says to check the connection at the EACV first then give some testing proceedures. If I could post a picture I would but find access to a honda manual. LOL

gmech
01-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Hey my friend, I just turned the page to the honda service manual the one Honda sells and this is what it advises.
Symton: When warm RPM too low

a) Idle speed is below specified rpm.
b) Idle speed does not increase after intial start up.
c) On models with automatic transmission, the idle speed drops in gear.
d) Idle speed drops when air conditioning is on.

Check: Electronic Air Control Valve first.

It basically says to check the connection at the EACV first then give some testing proceedures. If I could post a picture I would but find access to a honda manual. LOL

Hope this helps:

Honda Accord 1984 thru 1989 Idle Speed Adjustment (http://home.earthlink.net/~briancaldwell/images/G3_Idle_Speed_Adjustment.htm)

Goldfinger89
01-12-2004, 09:31 AM
Thanks for all of your help guys. I'll try to work on it today. It's been about zero the past few days and too cold to work on it outside. Thanks again guys.

danronian
01-12-2004, 09:50 AM
My accord used to do the same thing when I gave it gas and when it was on low idle. I cleaned the throttle body and intake until it was no longer black and the intake air temp sensor was also faulty. Check the ECU for codes. It sounds like it could be the temp sensor since my honda never goes down to the lowest idle when it is this cold outside (NE PA lately).

shepherd79
01-12-2004, 10:48 AM
adjusting the screw is temp solution.
here is what i would done:
remove the idle screw. clean it. spray some carb cleaner into the hole where the idle screw used to be.
spray some carb cleaner inside the throttle body.
this should help.
if it doesn't help your idle control valve is bad.