PDA

View Full Version : Cost Of Head Machine Work

BootMachine
01-09-2004, 10:55 AM
I have an A20A4 head that needs a little work done to it and I was wondering if anyone has had machine work done and knows a little about the cost involved!

I need:

- valve seats re-ground
- valves re-ground
- new valve guides pressed in
- new seals installed (I have the seals and dont know how to get them in)
- gasket surface milled

please indicate USD or CAD...

Tnkx!

turfnnsurf
01-09-2004, 12:21 PM
Well Boot,

Here is a link to an A20A3 head that i had work done to it.. http://209.151.81.66/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26032
It cost me $650 US, for the machine work but that also included a full race port and polish job. My guess would be around $200-300 for basic head work back to factory specs...

BootMachine
01-09-2004, 12:28 PM
OK that answers my question!

TNKX!

So I'm gonna pay prob about 300-400 bucks CAD to have my head worked! I do my own porting and polishing but it takes too long and the gains SUCK so I dont think I will ever do it again. It just takes way too long!

BootMachine
01-09-2004, 12:31 PM
OH and the reason I'm asking is for a buddy of mine. He decided he wanted to build and engine yet he knows nothing...anyway...he said "I wanna port and polish my head...port and polish...port and polish"

so I said ok I will teach you but it takes a good 30 hours or work to get it nice...he said "forget that...I dont need anyone to teach me" and went and set up a grinding bench.

THEN...he went ahead without my instruction and started porting the head....turns out he decided to port out the valve seats too...ba ha ha ha ha....now...when you stick a valve back in its hole and look through the port you can see SO MUCH LIGHT. Those valves are not going to seal a damn thing!

ha ha ha....and hes still uptight about keeping the valves in the jig he made so he knows where they go back...no point now!