PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat housing problems...

Mike's89AccordLX
01-10-2004, 11:17 AM
Well this happend when I first replaced my upper radiator hose. Where the rad. hose connects with the thermostat housing is where the problem is. I noticed that after the car heats up that it seems to smoke (burning off a little coolant) it's just very little b/c I don't notice a change in coolant levels. It looks like the hose might not be tight enough. I tightend it up before (right when I changed the hose and then I saw this problem and then really tightend the clamp) Well its doing it again so maybe it just loosened up. I didn't think those screw clamps loosened unless you did it yourself. So if anyone else has had this problem please tell me what you did to fix the problem. The hose is about 1.75 years old.

-Mike

dXsquared
01-10-2004, 11:38 AM
just get a new hose and t stat housing... get an LXi housing one so you can install an electric temp gauge to it...

Travis

Mike's89AccordLX
01-10-2004, 11:57 AM
Hmmm.... more gauges for me to buy :cool2: I don't know if you knew, but I just bought a new Vacuum/Boost gauge and I just bought a tach with shift light too. I will have to get some more gauge pods or upgrade to the triple pillar. I might go rip one of the thermo housings off at the junkers.

dXsquared
01-10-2004, 12:41 PM
aww.. the vac gauge is useless... send it back and get an electric temp gauge... it actually does somthing.. adn what tach did you buy?

i got a real nice one for 70 bucks...
http://www.truckn-store.com/productImages/gau%5Frpm%5F233906scb%2Ejpg

mines silver not CF and it has 7 color lights, and flames appear when you light it up

Travis

Mike's89AccordLX
01-10-2004, 12:47 PM
I would think you of all people would know the vacuum gauge is usefull. A20A1 has one.... And it will tell you if you have a leak and etc...

Mike's89AccordLX
01-12-2004, 12:40 PM
Well I went to the junkyard today and out of the 6 3geez that were there only one had the thermostat left and it was from a FI accord. And let me tell you.... what a bitch to remove. We had to remove the distributor and all the emissions tubes off it to be able to get to the 2 nuts holding it on. I also bought some 86-87 style sidemarkers and try to make full clear sidemarkers. I bought a cooler valvecover from a LX-i. I bought a block heater from the store.

So what little plugins do I keep Travis? I don't know what ones I need to keep to be able to do the temp gauge. I kept all the plugins and some of the wires so I should be good. Let me know what to do next and I will do it.

Vinny
01-12-2004, 12:45 PM
you should be able to do a temp gauge off the factory temp sending unit hole. I know alot of aftermarket temp gauges come with adapters so you can use them in almost any opening into a waterjacket. I should have warned you about how much fun the housing is to get Mike. I had to change mine right after I picked up the Sedan. I didn't remove the alt or emissions tubes though :cool2:

Mike's89AccordLX
01-12-2004, 01:01 PM
Well I have pretty big hands and it was cramped to try and get to the bolts. So the temp gauge pretty much will just screw right into one of the holes. B/c since I have the carbed version I don't need all those plugin things. Damn I wonder how much an autometer temp gauge is for the pro comp ultra light? I'm going to have a crap load of gauges now.

Vinny
01-12-2004, 01:15 PM
I've get pretty big hand myself (Large mechanix gloves are snug) I guess all the years of working aicraft and having to work in tight places, plus a LARGE variety of tools always helps

I'd go to a local speed shop and look and see what they have. check Autometers website, they have listings for metric thread adapters. Go product search, then Cups, Tubing, & Accessories (Light Bulbs, Senders, etc...), then temperature adapters. I'm sure one of those will work for ya

Mike's89AccordLX
01-12-2004, 01:17 PM
Yeah thanks man, I have 2 pairs of Mechanix M-Pact II glove in X-Large size and they fit tight. Those gloves are sweet though. Best $44 I spent on a pair.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-12-2004, 03:26 PM
Alright guys I went to the store and one place wanted $96 for the water temp gauge and I left right away. The next store wanted $73 for the same gauge. And Travis I don't know if I even needed the fi thermostat. Since I have the Weber the sensor that I do have on my thermostat is capped off. Can I use that spot instead of removing my thermostat? Maybe I can take it back and get my money back.

And I want a Water Temp gauge right? What temp range should I get? 120-240 or 140-280???? There's some more temp ranges but what should I get?

Sherlock87LXI
01-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Was gonna say... the thermo caseing was cake for me.... but then again... i have SMALL hands...
If you need any parts im parting my car out. LXI 87. So the gauge you need i will have and it worked. send me a pm and MAYBE i can get it to ya.
/cry.
I WANT MY CAR BACK!!!!!
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Mike's89AccordLX
01-12-2004, 07:02 PM
No I have the regular temp gauge working I'm buying an aftermarket one. Thanks anyways.

dXsquared
01-12-2004, 07:14 PM
i was told the 88-89 EFI cars have an electric sensor in the t stat housing. so you buy an electric water temp gauge and wire it to the sensor.. with the weber, your water temp gauge dies cuz the sensor is cut off from coolant... unless you went the non power way and just blocked the little hole in the carb base...

if you have just plugged the hole, you can still use a mechancal water gauge... i just assumed you bypassed the coolant from the manifold

Travis

Vinny
01-12-2004, 08:16 PM
Mike I'd assume since the stock thermostat setting is 195ish you want on the will cover atleast that range low end. I'd say go with the higher range one since I'd rather know my temp Hi side than low, if ya know what I mean. Did you check out the adapters on Autometers websight? Best bet to me is goping to be figure out the size of the original coolant temp sensor for the ECU and the conensor fan switch fan switch (if you have an 88-89 LX-i thermostat housing) and find out what adapter you need to plug in right there. Now the weber talk has me lost since both my accords are LX-i's. But I'm pretty sure you should be able to get an adapter for the hole in the top of the housing and run with it from there. Also might wanna check EBAY for a temp gauge, it may save ya some bucks.

Oh hey I MAY have a NEW in the box automoter temp gauge if your intersted, I'll have to look and see if I can find it

A20A1
01-12-2004, 09:02 PM
Auto Guage? Looks okay though.

Yeah boost / Vac is nice to have on any car. I actually flux between vac and boost at times when I downshift or shut off the car.

I saw an adjustable fan controller at checker auto parts today. It might be nice to hook it up and set the temp lower then the stock sensor. - 30 degrees or so for starters.