PDA

View Full Version : a stupid question

night
01-10-2004, 12:57 PM
ok, of all the work ive done to a honda, ive never ringed one.
i have an 87 beater hatch and the ol' iron block/aluminum head bit me in the ass and it blew the gasket. sooo..... so to make it short, i had to hone it out, but i dont know which ring is the top/bottom.
the book shows the edges but looking at the rings i cant tell a diff. does the black one go on the bottom and grey one on top? that how i have it, but really wanna make sure first. and yes, i do have the text facing up.

Justin86
01-10-2004, 01:33 PM
Damn I had the same prob and can't remember how I did it. It seems like there was a mark on one of them that told where it went. Wait I think it is the edge of the ring is different. If you look close at the ring and in the instructions you will figure it out.

night
01-10-2004, 02:19 PM
Damn I had the same prob and can't remember how I did it. It seems like there was a mark on one of them that told where it went. Wait I think it is the edge of the ring is different. If you look close at the ring and in the instructions you will figure it out.

ya, 1 is black with a T on it, and the other is grey with a 2T on it. i suppose the 2 could be 2nd ring, but i was trying to go by the edge and i cant see a diff between them

gmech
01-10-2004, 07:21 PM
Night, you are correct - after installaing the oil control ring, the 2nd or 2T ring should be installed in the the 2nd ring groove followed by the upper (T) ring in the top ring grove. However, as a good measure you might want to verify this with the ring kit vendor.

shepherd79
01-11-2004, 06:14 AM
ok,
here is what honda manual says. you can down load it form paul's website http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/index.html
page 7-14/7-15
top ring,
second ring,
oil ring