PDA

View Full Version : Noise/Heat when car is put under stress ...

JT55
01-10-2004, 05:16 PM
I have an '89 Honda Accord Hatchback carb. Recently, when I drive the car up a ramp to change the oil, which requires using some acceleration & the brakes at the same time, a loud continuous noise starts coming from the engine area and heat immediately starts to enter the passenger compartment (even though vents/heat is turned off).

I am not sure what the sound is, but sounds like a loud motor comes on, or a bad bearing noise. I turn the car off when this happens. Didn't see engine thermostat showing overheating, but didn't wait for it to happen either. Twice now this has happened. Afterwards, in regular driving, have never had this happen so far. I am concerned something is about to go bad.

Hopefully somebody has some idea what might be happening here.

Many thanks, JT

zero.counter
01-10-2004, 05:22 PM
Rod knock perhaps? Now that I got my foot in, I would first have the car parked and have an assistant put some load on the engine while you listen carefully to the engine to determine exactly where the noise is eminating from. After you have done that, I will offer more suggestions as it would be useless and wastefull for me oranybody else to ascertain you problem over the internet.

Make sure that Vent is set to HI-Low and to Recycled air instead of fresh.

JT55
01-11-2004, 10:37 AM
zero.counter, thanks for the response. I am afraid to induce the problem on the car again unnecessarily, in case I cause any damage.

It sounds like more of a continuous sound rather than a knocking or tapping sound. Also immediately I notice pretty intense heat coming back into the drivers compartment. Is this something that is consistent with 'rod knock'.

I am not that familiar with car problems, so any ideas would help.
Also if any additives or higher octane gas might slow the progression of the problem.

Thanks, JT