PDA

View Full Version : found this odd!

my86dx4dr
01-10-2004, 08:18 PM
when i first start up the car and it takes a fast idle, well when i kick it down to its spot 800-900rpm, if i turn the steering wheel all the way to either side, the rpms go down to about 500rpm, it dont hurt it (yet?) but i just found it odd, :dunno:

dXsquared
01-10-2004, 08:21 PM
power steering pump is putting a heavy load on the engine... enuff to drop the idle... the fluid is thick cuz its cold out

Travis

shepherd79
01-11-2004, 06:01 AM
it is eather fluid in PS system is cold or your pump is dead.

johndej
01-11-2004, 01:32 PM
hmm.... mine does that every so often and its usually an indication that my battery is going to be dead the next morn (it goes dead about every 5 or 6 days if i don't drive it too much)

Blkblurr
01-12-2004, 04:38 AM
If you are against the end of travel in either direction and still trying to turn the wheel you will get a drop in engine rpm due to the load the ps pump is putting on the engine. It is trying to push the rack against a hard stop that is built into the steering gear. If the engine is cold this may make it seem worse. You also have a pressure relief valve built into the steering gear that may be malfunctioning. If that is the case you will need to rebuild or replace the steering gear to fix. I would just not rotate your wheel that far when you start it.

night
01-12-2004, 09:44 PM
that is why new cars have a sensor for everything. so ppl dont complain about the slightest thing :p