PDA

View Full Version : Question

MrBen
01-10-2004, 10:03 PM
I brought my car into my mechanic and he was fixing the choke stat, whatever that is. Anyway it was replaced. He said the thing that controls the choke was broken after he got in there though. He said that now, without the piece, the choke is either open or closed. So on Monday he is going to figure out how to fix it. He's either going to order the piece or fabricate it himself.

Just wondering, what piece could this be? Also, could it have been broken before? Should I have to pay for the new piece? Any idea how much it costs?

NXRacer
01-10-2004, 10:06 PM
sounds to me like a vacuum control module of some sort. You might be able to convert your choke to manual choke. it wouldnt be hard. Just get a manual choke cable and connect it to the external choke lever (if there is one on the accord carb).

im not a carb whiz but this seems like an option.

x3r0
01-20-2004, 06:42 PM
sounds to me like a vacuum control module of some sort. You might be able to convert your choke to manual choke. it wouldnt be hard. Just get a manual choke cable and connect it to the external choke lever (if there is one on the accord carb).

im not a carb whiz but this seems like an option.

As far as my expierence is, and I think Im right, there are really only 2 items that control the chokes operation:
#1 Choke Thermostat (not sure of hondas terminology, but thats fords for this device, but yeah I am refering to a honda, i own one right now)
This has a coil, sort oflike metal wrapps in a circle, different temps cause it to close the choke or well its job is to slowly open the choke when its cold to warming up. Its the black thing on the side of the carb with 1 thick wire attached.
#2 Choke Opener, this will keep the choke opened a certain amount while the car is cold so it burns the gas properly and allows air in. This is metal, screwed on the front passengerside of the keihin carb, has sort of like a lever that connects to the choke, inside the choke opener is a diaphram vacumm controlled, so you will see two vacumm tubes comming from the side of this.

-JT

x3r0
01-20-2004, 06:47 PM
The Choke Opener is about $40. You can take the screws off of it (3 of them I think) and get some high heat silicone (highheat, i guess to be safe) and fix it so it holds a vacumm, not hard to do at all, $1 for silicone at walmart.
The Choke Thermostat (think honda just says choke housing) I do not have a price for because I myself have not been able to find the part for sale, its even rivetitted on the carb, so youd have to drill it out.

-JT