PDA

View Full Version : Sanding: What kind of sander/sand paper to use?

Dennis
01-11-2004, 10:55 AM
Ok, my mom has this sander - http://www.polsteins.com/blacdec13she.html
I was wondering if I could use it to sand my car, and if so what kind of sand paper do I use? I'm just wanting to primer the car for now because I still need a new bumper, hood, fenders but I was wanting to get a head start because my car looks like shit. :ugh: Anyways, any help will be appreciated. Thanks. Also, if anyone has a tutorial or anything about sanding that will help too. :bow:

shepherd79
01-11-2004, 11:33 AM
i wouldn't use that sander at all.
you need orbital sander.
you will need diff sand paper to remove diff layers or paint and get the smooth finish.

Dennis
01-11-2004, 11:36 AM
Whats an orbital sander? A round one sort of like a buffer? All I'm doing is stripping the paint, and putting black primer on it. I plan to leave the primer on there for a few months so... ehh :ugh: help!

k-roy
01-11-2004, 11:43 AM
If you primer it and leave it that way you will need to sand it down again and reprimer before the paintjob. Primer absorbs moisture and will screw up the paintjob. Its not pretty after a few months if its old primer with new paint.

k-roy
01-11-2004, 11:54 AM
How to paint your car (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=2504)

kicker1_solo
01-11-2004, 12:01 PM
like shep said, the best way to go is with an orbital sander. Yes, it's a round one....
When I was younger I sanded my whole car with a cheap little electric sander, it did alright but the sand paper kept falling off lol. You can get a sander similar to that for $30-$40, if you're serious about this I would try that.

Dennis
01-11-2004, 12:42 PM
Well to be honest, I'm poor and I don't even plan on getting a paint job unless I get some money. But my regular white paint is garbage and it's flaking off everywhere so I was just going to take the easy way out and sand it, then primer it and leave it like that. So I can use an orbitual sander and just leave the primer on there for ever? Will that harm anything because I don't know when I can get enough money for a decent paintjob. :ugh:

Dennis
01-11-2004, 01:08 PM
will this sander work? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2372461896 -thanks. :ugh:

MrBen
01-11-2004, 01:21 PM
Just go to The Home Depot, use it for your car, then return it saying it didn't satisfy you. I'm sure you can find something about it that doesn't satisfy you. Then it's not like you would be lying.

shepherd79
01-11-2004, 01:44 PM
it is orbital all right, but it is air sender. i hope you have air compressor.
the round sender is the best. beside it vibrates it spins at the same time. you get more life out of your sand paper this way.
if you are not planning painting your car the same day you apply the primer, i wouln't even bother sanding and priming the car. just leave it the way it is. i am sure it looks better it would when it is primed.

zero.counter
01-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Actually, an extremely cost-efficient method I have used with great results would be a normal corded drill with a flexible sanding disk. Start with a 40- Grit disk and sand at an angle, with the outer edges of the sanding disk (viewing from the top) is taking the paint off.

If you don't already have a drill, then you might as well borrow an orbital sanding/grinding tool instead of buying, unless you plan on opening a paint shop...

Dennis
01-12-2004, 08:03 PM
I have a drill. I'll look tommorow in wal-mart if they sell like add-on sand paper discs or whatever. My car will look better primered than it does now, trust me. The paint is garbage. I just want a clean gray look. Because the crap white paint is not cutting it. Will it hurt the car if I just leave it primered forever? Also, I should start with a 80-grit and then use a 100-grit? I'm kind of confused since people have said a variety of different things. Thanks. :ugh:

MrBen
01-12-2004, 08:33 PM
Primer isn't a sealer. Water can still get through it. Rust can start.

I would paint it, then seal it with clear coat.

Or, just primer it and say f*ck it.

Dennis
01-12-2004, 08:50 PM
I think I'll just primer it and say fuck it. :werd: