PDA

View Full Version : 5 speed conversion question

Scarface
01-11-2004, 02:10 PM
Hey guys I saw the section on doing this conversion in the " how to" section of these forums.
The issue I have is knowing what parts I can go with. I have a 87 lxi and Ive been finding a whole bunch of 5 speed parts off of 89 models. Now my question is weather there is any benefits or losses by going with parts from this year of an accord.
I saw in the "how to" thread that the 86/87 ecu wont work with the 88/89's but what about the other way around?
I been tryying to find this info on my own but I want to make sure before I go buy the parts and run into surprises down the line.
Oh yah and the last question I have is Ive done this conversion on my 97 prelude and I had to do modification on the engine harness. Is this needed with this conversion?
:help:

Thanks

shepherd79
01-11-2004, 04:27 PM
the tranny from 89 will bolt on without any problem.
you don't have to use ECU from a manual car. i had my car running just fine with auto.
you can pick it up 86-87 ECU later.
the only one thing you should really get is the black box under the hood. the auto and manual were diff.

joker2
01-12-2004, 11:05 AM
One of the major things that the how-to doesn't mention is that you will need to get the whole rear engine mount for the block because the auto bracket doesn't fit onto a manual tranny..... So while you're at the yard getting that bracket you might as well get the mount as well.... And for the torque rod, it's best to get the manual torque rod bushing because the auto bushing is not as beefy as the manual one.....