PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum line mixup?

DanG86LX
07-01-2002, 09:13 PM
Hi guys,

I may have a problem with vacuum lines going to choke and ignition vacuum advance at distributor. Those lines come from two thermovalve mounted into intake manifold to the firewall side. One is blue and is a tree way th-valve, the other one is yellow and is a two way th-valve. Here's how they are connected on my car:

{air-filter}==[17]=={yellow th-valve}==[18]=={choke opener & unloader}

{intake manifold}==[19]===T===[19]=={choke unloader & charcoal}
{air-filter}==[17]=={blue th-valve}==[25]=={ignition vacuum advance}

This is more or less what Haynes shows in some diagrams, however all Chilton's vacuum diagrams for all 3g show that [18] and [25] are swapped on my car.
On my car the blue th-valve is open between [17] and [19] and shut on [25] when cold (below 140F or 60C), and shut on [19] but [25] is bled when warm.
The yellow th-valve is always shut (it may be different during cold season, duno).
The vacuum diagram on my hood was long gone if ever been there.
Any thoughts ?

DanG86LX
07-03-2002, 01:34 PM
Oh, well.. thanks gays for your advice...
..but at list could anybody tell me if there should be any vacuum at [25] which goes to outer diaphragm of the vacuum advance unit (during warmup versus already warm engine) ? :confused:
Maybe I can figure out those vacuum lines myself.

DanG86LX
07-04-2002, 02:17 PM
Sorry for posting the previous; I got the answer right on this board here:
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&...ght=distributer
Thanks dj99 for posting that. So line [25] gets vacuum during cold start, and therefore the advance increases by few degrees.. Hmm, I thought during cold start we might need less advance because of the richer fuel mixture !

Uh.. nice replying to myself... I should do it more often. :lol

DanG

Mantis88LX
07-08-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by DanG86LX
Oh, well.. thanks gays for your advice...

LOL

TeKKnoTeKK
07-08-2002, 06:18 PM
Glad you got the information you needed.

dj99
07-08-2002, 07:14 PM
Thanks dj99 for posting that. So line [25] gets vacuum during cold start, and therefore the advance increases by few degrees.. Hmm, I thought during cold start we might need less advance because of the richer fuel mixture !

Uh.. nice replying to myself... I should do it more often. :lol

DanG [/B]

I didn't say that, someone else did, but they are right. #2 has vacuum all the time, and #25 should have vacuum only when coolant temp is below 50F. Sorry I didn't see your post sooner! :rolleyes:

DanG86LX
07-08-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by dj99

... and #25 should have vacuum only when coolant temp is below 50F.:rolleyes:

Where did you get the 50F from? Hope from a Honda service manual. Are you sure is not 50C ? This is important cuz then my [25] and [18] lines might be swapped. :confused:
Boy, I have to get that Helm manual.

DanG

dj99
07-08-2002, 09:50 PM
Yes, 50C, 122F. Got to get new eyes. :huh:

DanG86LX
07-09-2002, 09:19 AM
Oh..thanks DJ99.
My conclusion here is that both Haynes and Chilton are not that reliable.. maybe Helm manual, i just order one from here: http://www.helminc.com/
Meantime, I'll just leave the vacuum lines as they are till cold season comes and see if the yellow th-valve and the choke behave during cold starts.
Many thanks to LESTER LUGNUT for confirming me that my vacuum line layout may actually be correct.:bow:

DanG