PDA

View Full Version : General A20A Question About Blocks!

BootMachine
01-12-2004, 01:14 PM
Got a question about the A20A engine. I know there are a few, A20A1, A2, A3 and A4.

What is the diff between them? I'm talking about the block specs here. I know that you can get 1.8L carbed engines with the duel sidedrafts and then you have the single carbed Accord engine but what is the diff between the blocks!

If someone could explain this to me or get me a link to another thread that would be awsome!

TNKX!!

A20A1
01-12-2004, 01:36 PM
A20's are all the same block.

BootMachine
01-12-2004, 01:38 PM
same bore dia? Same rod length? Stroke? EVERYTHING?!?!!?!?

How about the oil gallerys and water jackets? ALL THE SAME??!?!

'A20A3'
01-12-2004, 01:39 PM
And they're made of IRON, not ALUMINUM. :cool2:

Cyric_accord
01-12-2004, 01:45 PM
The iron A20 block in the A20a1, a2, a3, and a4 are the same as A20A1 mentioned...

All that varies is the Fuel System and Country codes

A20a1- US carbed
A20a2- Canadian carbed
A20a3- US Fuel Injected
A20a4- Canadian Fuel Injected

BootMachine
01-12-2004, 01:46 PM
Yeah I knew they were cast iron......thats what makes this engine special!

I didnt know all the blocks were the same!

I have a spare block sitting under my nose and I didnt even know it!

Tnkx for the info!

BootMachine
01-12-2004, 01:48 PM
The iron A20 block in the A20a1, a2, a3, and a4 are the same as A20A1 mentioned...

All that varies is the Fuel System and Country codes

A20a1- US carbed
A20a2- Canadian carbed
A20a3- US Fuel Injected
A20a4- Canadian Fuel Injected

BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL....I didnt know you could match the carbed 2.0L blocks with the 2.0L PGM-FI heads! I must have an A20A4 engine because I have no EGR (no Cali. Emissions I'm guessing)

Sean
01-12-2004, 02:38 PM
all a20a blocks are the same. all a20axxx heads are the same. difference exist in the cam intake and exhuast manifolds.

NXRacer
01-12-2004, 02:55 PM
also, the carb motors have lower compression then the FI motors.........

Mike's89AccordLX
01-12-2004, 03:10 PM
I know that the pistons are different in the lxi models compared to carbed models. They have a little higher compression ratio than the carb models.

Sean
01-12-2004, 03:14 PM
yeah i wasnt thinking about pistons compression heights. but yes there is a small change in the dome hieghts ont he pistons from dx lx lxi.

k-roy
01-12-2004, 03:22 PM
all a20a blocks are the same. all a20axxx heads are the same. difference exist in the cam intake and exhuast manifolds.

So whats the differance in cams between the A1 and A3?

BootMachine
01-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Well I know that the automatic engines have are cammed for lower RPM power from the factory. Now I have never tested this but I heard it from the dealer so I will take it as true unless someone actually checks!

ALSO...where can I get a set of these LXI pistons? I want higher compression!!! I have an A20A4 prelude engine! Do you think my engine IS the LXI engine?

k-roy
01-12-2004, 03:40 PM
Well I know that the automatic engines have are cammed for lower RPM power from the factory. Now I have never tested this but I heard it from the dealer so I will take it as true unless someone actually checks!

ALSO...where can I get a set of these LXI pistons? I want higher compression!!! I have an A20A4 prelude engine! Do you think my engine IS the LXI engine?

You can get LXi pistons from the dealershit. If you look through Sean's old threads you can find he had got Eagle to make forged rods and Diamond to make Forged pistons for us.

A20A4 You say? its PGMFI then so Yes it is the LXi engine, it may have a different emissions package on it but thats just small details.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-12-2004, 03:40 PM
kroy I'm sure they have different lifts and durations I will check my service manual for specs.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-12-2004, 03:49 PM
Engine Specifications:

Type: Water cooled, 4 cycle O.H.C.
Cylinder Arrangement: 4-Cylinder in-line, transverse
Bore and Stroke: 82.7mm x 91.0mm
Displacement: 1,955cc
Compression Ratios:
DX/LX: 9.1:1
LXi/SEi: 9.3:1
Valve Train: Belt driven, single overhead camshaft
Lubrication System: Pressure feed
Fuel Required: Unleaded grade gasoline with 91 octane research octand number or higher.

(Note the octane level is weird b/c in the owners manual it says use 89 and the service manual says use 91. What are they trying to make us ruin our cars or something?)

I couldn't find the cam specs, only to see if its still in spec.

NXRacer
01-12-2004, 04:54 PM
if you wanna go higher compression, dont get LXI pistons. They arent that much different to make it worth spending the money. Check out the link in my sig about turbo parts and you can find prices for high compression pistons and rods.

BootMachine
01-13-2004, 11:33 AM
Oh I was just gonna swap them in for fun...like an afternoon project just to see what happens! BUT....I think I have the LXI engine already so who cares. I would never BUY these pistons from anyone....too much for too little!

If I wanted higher compression I would mill my deck a little but I dont...I dont wanna throw off the timing so much that I need a knock sensor to tune it properly! Besides...the stock A20 properly tuned gives you lots of power anyway...you just gotta floor the shit outta it~!

Legend-H-88
01-26-2004, 09:38 PM
Oh I was just gonna swap them in for fun...like an afternoon project just to see what happens! BUT....I think I have the LXI engine already so who cares. I would never BUY these pistons from anyone....too much for too little!

If I wanted higher compression I would mill my deck a little but I dont...I dont wanna throw off the timing so much that I need a knock sensor to tune it properly! Besides...the stock A20 properly tuned gives you lots of power anyway...you just gotta floor the shit outta it~!

Interesting... well all this talk about the famous A20aX. Dont get me wrong please. i have made a hybrid motor in my 3gee and its powerful as hell. Heres my engine, and grant this i used all junkyard parts except for the block and internals itself.

BS series block, crankshaft, pistons, and rods - yes I Balanced and Blueprinted the bottom end with the flywheel timing gear and Main pully as an assembly.

Had the Deck height Milled to 5... "extreme i know, but i wanted to take advantage of the BS longer stroke"

Used a A20a3 head with a 3 angle valve job, and 87 lude SI cam. and shaved to maximum. end result was 10.3.1 compression ratio.
intake port polished and port matched yada yada..... accell fuel injectors lightned flywhell.. "not bragging here its just a little something i put together to drive my car till i get my TURBO A20a3 together HAY..HAY..HAy"

havent had it on the dyno yet or on the track, its hard to get both in ALABAMA

but i can walk a 2000 civic SI (i was stoked) down with B series...

SEAN you rule keep up the good work :werd: