PDA

View Full Version : Front Wheel Bearring Replacement Question!

BootMachine
01-12-2004, 01:54 PM
On my prelude (which has pretty much the same front end as the 3Gee) I keep going through front wheel bearrings because I'm busting corners to hard. After about 100 000kms they start to grind and have a little play which is annoying.

The last set I got from a junkyard and just replaced the entire hub assembly on both sides but they were 1/2 gone to begin with so now...50 000 kms later I'm back where I started!

What is involved in replacing the front wheel bearrings with NEW ones? What machine work needs to be done. I have had the hub off the car but I cant seem to get inside it to check the bearrings. How does it come apart? How much am I looking at ?

Tnkx for any info!

NXRacer
01-12-2004, 02:01 PM
they need to be pulled out and pressed back in. If you dont have a press you'll have to get a machine shop or mechanic who has a press to set them.

BootMachine
01-12-2004, 02:07 PM
I have no press so there is basically not a friggn thing I can do about this.....NUTTS!

ALSO..one of my wheel studs (the thing the lug screws onto) snapped off and I cant hammer it out the back of the hub ASSY because there is a little metal lip stopping it. SO..now I cant even put a new stud in...which is stupid! I'm gonna break down and buy two brand new wheel bearrings from HONDA and have a machine shop press them in my hubs....should not be too much if I bring my hubs to them already off the car!

night
01-12-2004, 09:42 PM
how sure are you its the bearings?
front right? cuz the only time ive ever seen them go bad they grind like hell. a very nasty roaring noise when rolling.

they are no fun to do. the races usually have to be torched off. sometimes you can beat them off with a chisel but rarely.
take a stud and they can knock it in for you real quick.

HaccordR89
01-12-2004, 10:57 PM
i had to have my front lug bolts pressed in by a shop as well, i could get them all out just fine but getting them in i dont think is possible without a press, it was cheap though.i think like 20 bucks for all 8 (had to get both sides...don't ask)

BootMachine
01-13-2004, 11:36 AM
Nah..I KNOW its the bearrings...this is the 3rd time they have gone bad on me. The first time I left it SO LONG that my wheel had 8mm of play in all directions...both front wheels were like shopping cart wheels going down the highway....and the roar was incredible!

On my front hubs you can not remove the lug studs without removing the entire bearring assy. unless you cut something your not supposed to!

rollinhnda88
01-13-2004, 12:55 PM
if i remember right when you buy wheel bearings for a front wheel drive car the whole hub comes with it.

ACCORD EX
01-13-2004, 02:43 PM
if i remember right when you buy wheel bearings for a front wheel drive car the whole hub comes with it.

not in our honda's ! you can get the bearing alone ! and press the old out and the new in !

Mike !

my86dx4dr
01-13-2004, 03:13 PM
my dad had my front bearings replaced when we did the axles 4 months ago, ..........we were hearing a bad roaring on the freeway

X-Lr8
01-13-2004, 03:15 PM
same boat as u cept i snapped 3 lugs because the tire shop overtightened them i took out the steering nuckle assembly and brought it to a machine shop and brought them a bearing the bearing cost me $65 it was $20 to press the bearing in and i think $10 to press the lugs in as well with tax and all it endedup being $120 something like that