PDA

View Full Version : One hot night

factorVIII
01-12-2004, 02:45 PM
:help:

I was cruisin along the streets last month when my car suddenly overheated about 2 miles away from my house and stalling at least twice, But I was able to bring the 3G home. So I replaced the thermostat and the rad. cap and flushing the system. When everything seemed ok, I took the car for a drive again after being bored the entire holiday season thinking all is well. Later on, to my horror, the hood started to smoke. So i popped it open and found out that the recent overheating experience that i had on that one foggy christmasy eve caused the valve cover to leak oil allowing me to inhale fumes as i drove home. So I replaced it and just to be sure, drained the cooling system again. And now after exiting the freeway (drove for 13 miles doin 80 mph) the temp is again rising up so i turned the heater to full blast and hated the day. :gun: I parked the car and I saw steam coming out from the lower passenger side of the hood Im not sure if it's from the reservoir tank. and yeah It was oh so dry so I filled it up with water and pouted some more.

So... any suggestions what to check next? Thanks guys

by the way...Happy New Year!!! :cheers:

A20A1
01-12-2004, 06:06 PM
So are you losing coolant at all?

Might be the water pump... or water pump belt. If you find you need to replace the belt then make sure you tighten the new one down properly... too tight and you put strain on the bearrings and the pump breaks faster.

Make sure your fans are working also or the thermo switch on the radiator that activates the fan

factorVIII
01-12-2004, 08:33 PM
so does that explains why steam's coming out from the lower right hand side? the h2o pump, gee... that's like one of the worst for me. Any more ideas?

shepherd79
01-13-2004, 04:22 AM
do this, park the car and let it idle. the fans should come on a few times.
this way you will find out if your fans are working or not, and if you have a small leak in the hose.
the cracked hose may look fine when you look at, but under hot temp and high pressure, the crack will open up and you will see where it is leaking.