PDA

View Full Version : tockico shocks, worth the $$ ???

Luis 89LXi
01-12-2004, 08:25 PM
I just buy a set of suspencion techiques 2" front 1.9" rear drop Springs by ebay, and i saw a set of blue tockico by $230. I riding on a set of Civic Enkei wheels, no the big deal just want a good suspencion.

i just wondering if this tockicos worth the money or i can get a better shocks for those springs ?
I was thinking on gas struts or something, since i just want to spend almost $200 on shock/struts. Maybe gaybriel gas or KYB GR-2 or rebuild my stock shocks (theres a shop near my house that rebuild/?refill? old shocks).

what you would recommend ? take in mind the size of my pocket.
this is the link to the ebay auction on tockicos:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33590&item=2453856081

Luis

BITESIZE
01-12-2004, 08:35 PM
The tokicos are about 20% better than stock ones, KYB's are another way to go, but if you can get your hands on some konis, you're better off.

I have tokico shocks, with a 1.5 inch drop and they were worth the $250 i spent.

Luis 89LXi
01-12-2004, 08:37 PM
i saw a pair of front KYB GR-2 for $90 i guess in ebay, i hear konis are kind of hard to find.

so i don't make desicion yet.

BITESIZE
01-12-2004, 08:44 PM
I heard KYB's are good for the front and the tokico's are good for the rear, or vise versa, can't remember.

There's also billsteans

Bloodlust
01-12-2004, 09:06 PM
I heard Tokico are better in the front but suck in the rear. But personally, I have them, and they work fine.

86AccordLxi
01-12-2004, 09:56 PM
DON'T get the kyb's. They are just a stock replacemnt. Bitesize: the setup you're thinking of is konis in the front, tokicos in the back. Stay away from the gr-2s if you're lowering your car.

alex

nswst8
01-12-2004, 10:37 PM
I got what I feel was some good info on our suspension upgrades possibilities.
Koni red all the way around (Rears hard to find "i'm still looking) H&R springs or if we can't find the rear Konis, Tokico HP will work just nicely in the back.
Approx 1.5" all the way around.
I currently have the Front Konis, H&R Springs and still looking for the rears.
But its looking like I might have to go with the Tokico HP.
Hope this helps, but do a search this is repeated information that is already posted. LOL
NSWST8 :cheers:

POS carb
01-13-2004, 06:17 AM
I'm happy with the Tokicos, when I had 16" I wished they were stiffer but now with the 17's it doesn't hit the floor on the sprint 2.25" springs. If anything get Konis up front or all around if you have the $$

Luis 89LXi
01-13-2004, 12:35 PM
I'll try to find konis, whit a koni seller on ebay, if i cant find anything i'll buy the set of blues tockicos from the ebay auction.

thank you for all the info.

Luis

epic1400cs
01-21-2005, 05:05 AM
DON'T get the kyb's. They are just a stock replacemnt. Bitesize: the setup you're thinking of is konis in the front, tokicos in the back. Stay away from the gr-2s if you're lowering your car.

alex

I have found a article about the Kayaba shock.

http://www.kybclub.com/kybclubhtm/Type-ba.shtml

This is a rough spec of Kayaba shock named 'New SR Special' for JDM. It is equivalent to GR-2 in US. Accoring to this article, compare to the OEM shock, rebound is 125%, compression is 115%. It says these figure are avarage among the this product line and detail may be different on each applicaiton/model. So it is not 100% accurate but as a reference, KYB GR-2 are touch stiffer than OEM but definately not for uprated spring.

snow_man_20
01-21-2005, 05:13 AM
[QUOTE=epic1400cs]I have found a article about the Kayaba shock.

if only i could read japanese. :D

epic1400cs
01-21-2005, 05:21 AM
[QUOTE=epic1400cs]I have found a article about the Kayaba shock.

if only i could read japanese. :D

Sorry about the link being written in Jpanese but trust me. :)

Mattphi
01-21-2005, 05:41 AM
I have Tokicos in the front and rear...rides perfect. 100 X better than stock

Luis 89LXi
01-21-2005, 03:33 PM
its been a year since i made this thread. I bougth tokicos whit suspencion technicques Springs. The ride is nice, but i wish i get diferent springs i feel this ST kind of soft and a bit bouncy.

Luis

jigga225
01-21-2005, 11:28 PM
yeah the tokicos are good, long as you're not running any spring to stiff ex: coilovers

88Accord-DX
01-21-2005, 11:55 PM
I heard Tokico are better in the front but suck in the rear. But personally, I have them, and they work fine.

I thought it was the other way around. Pretty sure some people will agree on that one. Just my $.02

Hash_man_Se_i
01-22-2005, 01:45 AM
I have tokicos, and the front is a bit soft, but the H&R are soft as well in the front which make it unpleasent at times, I feel a stiffer front spring would be nice... And the Tokicos are perfect for the back IMO, pretty stiff as far as I'm concerned.

dillirk
01-22-2005, 02:40 AM
I have the suspention tech and the tockicos. I love them. I too didnt have the $$$ for konis and ground controles but Im glad I didnt go that way because the roads here in Utah suck. The ST's are just stiff enough to give me better than stock handling without rattling my brain loose and the tockicos are just enough to controle them... No bouncing around like the civics with chopped stock springs around here. This combo in my opinion is the best for the $$$.

AccordNut
01-22-2005, 10:29 AM
i too am thinkin about goin with the tokico struts, i already have some neuspeed springs, 1.5" all around....what do you guys think about the neuspeed/tokico setup?

SavageG
01-22-2005, 10:33 AM
I had Tokicos all around for about a year before the fronts were junk. Both of the fronts blew seals after 25k or so. I put on Sensatracs (stock) they aren't quite as stiff as the Tokicos were. But they also haven't had any performance loss over the last 8k. Time will tell if these hold up any better or not.

PS
I still have the Tokicos on the rear and they're just starting to go bad.

86AccordLxi
01-22-2005, 10:39 AM
I blew my front sensatracs within 8 months of installing them. Then put on tokicos. I would never recommend the monroe's to anyone with a lowered car.

Alex

AZmike
01-22-2005, 05:31 PM
i too am thinkin about goin with the tokico struts, i already have some neuspeed springs, 1.5" all around....what do you guys think about the neuspeed/tokico setup?

For the money it's pretty good. You may want to consider looking for konis or paying to get the bilstiens revalved for the front since the Tokicos really aren't strong enough to control the stiffer springs--especially if you don't want to replace them every year or two like the previous two posters.

Oldblueaccord
01-29-2005, 12:38 AM
For the money it's pretty good. You may want to consider looking for konis or paying to get the bilstiens revalved for the front since the Tokicos really aren't strong enough to control the stiffer springs--especially if you don't want to replace them every year or two like the previous two posters.

I wonder how they do with a stock setup?

Maybe the lowering them is messing with the valveing somehow. I been thinking this for awhile if there is a correlation with people having trouble with struts and lowering.

wp

AZmike
01-29-2005, 09:41 PM
I wonder how they do with a stock setup?

Maybe the lowering them is messing with the valveing somehow. I been thinking this for awhile if there is a correlation with people having trouble with struts and lowering.

wp

As long as the shock is not bottoming out the ride height of the car doesn't affect it. The problem is that lowering springs (or cut stock springs) are stiffer that the stock spring most aftermarket shocks are designed to work with. The stiffer spring requires a stronger damper to control it. The stock equivalent parts aren't up to this task--at least for very long.

bullard123
01-30-2005, 05:18 AM
I have Tokicos in the front and rear...rides perfect. 100 X better than stock

What kind of drop do you have? Your car looks pretty low.. How long have you had the tockios installed??