PDA

View Full Version : car runs rough

Bioforge
01-12-2004, 08:51 PM
I am totally buged by this problem...I have an 89 LX-i with a JDM engine just droped in...ran fine for a week, then once it got cold, it runs very rough....anywhere above 2400 it sputters...it will rev up, but will sputter the whole time....at idle, i think it runs rich...however when it sputters, i belive it leans it self out becuase it advances the timing so much....I just replace the o2 sensors, and that did not do the trick...any sujestions?

shepherd79
01-13-2004, 04:17 AM
look under the driver seat. count how manu time the test light blinks. i bet one of your sensors is dead.

danronian
01-13-2004, 06:04 AM
Could also be the plug wires, plugs, or coil (mine did something similar and was worse when it was cold when this was the culprit). Check for codes first though.

Bioforge
01-13-2004, 04:24 PM
thats where it gets really odd...checked the codes, and ocasionally it spits out code 1 repeatedly (primary o2) but I replace those, and it didnt fix it...I think I will take a look at my coil though...could be an issue.

danronian
01-13-2004, 05:25 PM
Check and make sure the connections for that sensor are good, it sounds to me like the connection to it is being broken causing this idle problem.

Bioforge
01-13-2004, 08:54 PM
i'll have to look up on how to check the coil again, but I have went over that harness a 1000 times, and its fine...I really dont want to say it, but if it isnt the coil, or by some chance of god my o2's going again. I think I will take it to Honda and have it looked at.

shepherd79
01-14-2004, 04:47 AM
when you replaced the O2 sensor, did you reset ECU?
everytime you do some major work on your car that involves sensors you have to reset ECU, or it will give you the code all the time.
pull the fuse under the hood that says ECU, i think it is #10 or #11.
pull it out and wait 10-15 seconds.

1988starter
01-14-2004, 08:52 AM
right before my fuel pump dies I was not getting sufficent fuel pressure and I got code 2 all the time O@ secondary sensor I replaced them no luck. Went away after new pump. Along with the shitty way my engine was running.

Bioforge
01-15-2004, 01:40 PM
shep, after owning a Ford, I learned that you most definately need to wipe the ecu(Fords are so bloody bad about electronics, that I just dont know how they made it..lol).....as for the fuel pump though, How was your running rough? because I was not planning on replacing my fuel pump for a few months, but if it is the prob, then I am just going to buy that 350$ Venom Fuel Pump that they have that comes with software management. :cool:

Bioforge
01-17-2004, 12:07 AM
well I think it was the fuel pump, or maybe a relay...what ever it was, I was on my way home, and the damn thing just went dead, was still rolling so I poped the clutch, and could fell it loosing fuel preasure...turns out the fuel pump doesnt even come on...havent had a chance to look at it since it just happpend aroudn 2:30, but oh well...guess you cant wint hem all.

Bioforge
01-17-2004, 09:22 PM
:cool2:

car died on me while I was on the road...for about 3 hours before it ran perfect...thats right you guessed it...main relay baby....when it arivies tomorrow I will tell ya if that solves all my probs.

nswst8
01-17-2004, 09:30 PM
Networking at its best.
Lets weave our web. LOL
NSWST8 :cheers:

Scarface
02-05-2004, 10:50 PM
err noob question here.. if theres a problem with my car will a warning light of some sort always come signaling me to check the ecu or will it sometimes send a code with no warning light at all.

The reason I ask is because I drove a pretty big distance today and at the end of the trip the car would have a ruff idle.

eh anyways hopfully its not anything too bad :help: