PDA

View Full Version : L.E.D. vs. Other Bulbs?

AvsFan212333
01-12-2004, 10:06 PM
Super White, Xtreme White, Hyper White, Super Plasma, Super Duper Ooper Blue, Pasty Whiteboy White.....ah, my head hurts! There are so many godd**** bulb companies out there. I'm going insane. :gun:

I noticed the blue coating on my PIAA Xtreme White 168 wedge side marker bulbs is flaking off (they're actually whiter-looking with the blue coating off).

The PIAA Xtreme bulbs are brighter than me taking my shirt off at the beach. I love them, but I want to get even whiter-looking bulbs. Are there are any?

Anyway, I came across some threads on here that say L.E.D. lights are the best thing you can buy.

Are L.E.D.'s brighter/whiter than the 'normal-looking' high-end bulbs? And NOT just an L.E.D. for the side-markers, I mean all miniature bulb replacements for the exterior lights.

If anyone has any input I'd appreciate it. http://www.superlumination.com was reccommended for getting L.E.D.'s, so check it out and let me know. :devil:

nswst8
01-12-2004, 10:24 PM
Only if you want to do a custom conversion of HID to your application, but as stated above The Deptment of Transportation has not yet approved LED applicable Headlights. :bs:
I was thinking of trying a set of the Silverstar by Sylvania, but also converting the rest of the parking, tail, backup and turn signal lights (require applicable inline risistor) to LED. I saw alot of LED on Ebay, But I still have some reserch to do.
they use less energy and last longer but are little more expensive than filament bulbs.
I believe the only HID conversion was done by someone in Russia.
Hope this helps. LOL
NSWST8 :cheers:

DigitaLuminescence
01-12-2004, 10:32 PM
I've got some cheapo no-name LEDs on my car, and comparing them next to the earlier stock bulbs as well as "high-end" bulbs, I like the LEDs much more. While mine aren't TOO much brighter than regular bulbs, they still look a lot better (they have a smaller power draw, too). Give'em a try, I think you may like the results.

Micah 89LXi
01-12-2004, 10:44 PM
u mean for the corner lights / tails/ turn signals...or headlights?..im confused

Micah 89LXi
01-12-2004, 10:48 PM
www.superbrightleds.com sells led bulbs pretty cheap

DigitaLuminescence
01-12-2004, 10:50 PM
I was thinking of trying a set of the Silverstar by Sylvania

I tried out some Silverstar bulbs, and wasn't really that impressed for two reasons: 1. They aren't too much brighter or whiter than new stock bulbs (I like the Cool Blue bulbs a little more) and 2. Mine burnt out after 2 months; manufacturer problem; I got my money back easily after the employee at Schucks told me that there were several returns made.

If you have already done your H4 conversion, try CATZ, Eurolight, or Razo headlight bulbs.

Defiant[YD]
01-12-2004, 11:02 PM
i can vouch for the reliability of eurolite bulbs.
i have them on both my accord and civic and they haven't failed me.
got them for $20/ pair and i like them compared to the silverstars.

AvsFan212333
01-13-2004, 05:29 AM
Micah 89LXi,

Sorry about the confusion. I meant for the corner lights, tails and turn signals. NOT the headlights.

AvsFan212333
01-13-2004, 05:10 PM
Well, I got an answer from that guy who's link I posted. Here's what he said:

"Brightness and light output/visibility are not the same thing.

Leds are bright, but they do not produce as much total 360 degree light
output as incandecent bulbs.

Any colorized or tinted bulb filters out some light and therefore also do not produce as much total light output as a clear non-coated glass bulb."

Looks like I'll be sticking with normal bulbs.