PDA

View Full Version : Strange but New Problem

smufguy
01-12-2004, 10:40 PM
Okay, this just started to happen to me today. I was at my Uncles house cleaning up my car and i was fixing my mudflaps and the wheelwell covers for the snow. I had the stereo on for a while. After like 2 hours i went to start my car, but it wont start. I was like, okay probably the stupid battery drained, So i jump it and my friend comes along and we drive to his house and we both drive in my car to the KFC and get food and come back and we eat for like an hour and a half and i go try to start my car and it kinda almost feels dead, but starts up after a pause. I did not mind much, i thought it was just the freezing cold outisde. Then i pull into his garage and we work on my 4th gen accord heater control conversion on my 3g and we get it done. Its all dandy and then my car wont start. I was like wtf???? then i jump start it and its putting out 13.8Volts right after it started. Then i turn on my new heaters that we got done putting in and we are all excited and we drive off to 7Eleven and im outside in my car with the headlings and fogs on and my heater on high and i notice the lights are dim, i tap the gas and as the engine revs, the brigtness increases, I go to the back of my car and hook up the volt meter on my car and the readin is like around 10.8 Volts, i am like wtf??

So i ask my friend to shut off the heater fan and then i get 11.2 ~11.5 volts.

Then i ask him to turn off the headlights, and i get 13.2~13.4 Volts.

I am like, okay thats weird. It does not do the dimming while driving. My battery warning light does not come on either.

I tested his 2001 civic and its putting out 14.8 Volts constant on normal idle which is pretty much what my car should be doing too.

I come home and i have the car run for a while with no headlights and heater fan. and then i hook up the volt meter and get the same 13.4Volt reading and then i turn off the car and i notice the voltage drop from 13.4 Volts to 12.5 volts. This was 5 minutes after the car was shut down. Then i just went upstarirs cause i was freezing my ass outside.

I also noticed a whining noise, the noise that a turbo makes as it spools up, everytime i accelerate. I check the alternator belt tension and it seems fine.

So i dont know what is wrong. Is my alternator dying? Is something else draining my battery? Nothing is on tho. Once the key is taken off the ignition everything is off so i dont know what might be draining the battery, unless it was not charging enough.

Do u guys think its a sign of a failing alternator. If its what it is, ill go to autozone and get a new alternator right then. Man...... i have a 10 hour trip to NC tomorrow with this car. :beat: :(

A20A1
01-12-2004, 10:55 PM
Check the alternator and the connections on both sides of the battery cable and on the alt.

HaccordR89
01-12-2004, 11:02 PM
i would just have the alternator tested..but that's definitly what it sounds like the problem is. there always seems to be something you can never find draining the battery a little bit two, but i would test the alternator and battery before you start checking for something stealing power. autozone here will do it for free here..i would assume the same where you live.

shepherd79
01-13-2004, 04:27 AM
sounds like dead alternator.

nswst8
01-13-2004, 06:50 AM
I concur Alts on its way out the door.
Hope this helps, LOL
NSWST8 :cheers:

Blkblurr
01-13-2004, 07:29 AM
I think it may be your alternator belt. It may be worn or glazed and is slipping under load. As you turn on accessories it takes more torque to rotate your alternator. Most Alts don't die like this. They work purfectly or not at all. Sometimes they work intermittently. You may also have a loose battery conection at the same time which makes it difficult to diagnose as a single cause.

night
01-13-2004, 07:36 AM
dont buy electrical stuff from autozone

ACCORD EX
01-13-2004, 08:13 AM
may be a bad ground too ! of bad battery wires ! ? or bad terminals !
i would count all this options before changing the alternator ! may be when the load is increased , one or more of the above things don't have good connection and high current cause them to get loose and Voltage drops ! wierd though

Mike !

accordlxi2.0
01-13-2004, 10:03 AM
it's the alternator, on some when they're about to go bad they make a whining noise.

smufguy
01-20-2004, 08:41 AM
well as of 14th jani got the problem fixed. It was a bad alternator and it was so bad that i was putting out 9 volts on full warmed up idle. then i went to Autozone got the 4th gen Alternator for 99 bux, the 3g was 85 bux but the 3g was 65 amps and the 4g was 80 amps so i got that. ANd along with it got a bigger belt.

I have to do a write up on the alternator swap from a 4g to a 3g cause its not a bolt on. The bracket on the bottom is perfect and the clips are exact match but the 4g alternator does not lean forward as much as the 3g alternator so u need a bigger belt.

It works find and i am putting out 13.75 to 14.3 volts with everything on so its good. had it on for around 1600 miles so far cuz i had to go down south and it was perfect. it fires up on the first crank and its awsome. Thanks fellas.

HaccordR89
01-20-2004, 10:27 PM
hope that alternator works for ya, i had to replace mine from autozone 6 times in under 2 months before i threatened to sue them if they didn't get it fixed and fixed right at their expence. they payed for honda to throw one in. but good luck, i was just suggesting you have them test it cause they'll do it for free

BITESIZE
01-20-2004, 10:30 PM
This Is My 3rd Alternator From Autozone Too In 4 Months!!! Bastards!

HaccordR89
01-22-2004, 11:05 AM
they suck with anything thats not 100% mechanical...but outside of that they kick ass cause you can get the cool dragon seat covers!!!!!!

BootMachine
01-22-2004, 11:20 AM
I bought my alternator from Canadian Tire and it came with a 6 year warranty...ha ha ha...sux to be them...I blow SO MANY ALTERNATORS!

I abuse them...I run my def. 24/7....I use it to charge up dead batts. I run all kinds of stuff off it....ha ha ha....I have gone through 4 alternators in the last year!

BTW..the alternators are made by Bosche!

1988starter
01-22-2004, 12:50 PM
I bought my alternator from Canadian Tire and it came with a 6 year warranty...ha ha ha...sux to be them...I blow SO MANY ALTERNATORS!

I abuse them...I run my def. 24/7....I use it to charge up dead batts. I run all kinds of stuff off it....ha ha ha....I have gone through 4 alternators in the last year!

BTW..the alternators are made by Bosche!
I am only on my third alternator third distributer and third fuel pump let's hear it for lifetime warentys

Sabz5150
01-22-2004, 12:53 PM
it's the alternator, on some when they're about to go bad they make a whining noise.

Describe said whining noise.

HaccordR89
01-22-2004, 10:22 PM
i think he's talking about something probably having to do with the brushes. i dunno though.

smufguy
01-23-2004, 07:05 AM
thats pretty scary. I never knew autozone was that bad. Hmmm....... but they do have the 30 day return period so i guess if it craps out on me in a month they would replace it for free. If not, well i can file a complaint. i guess.

accordlxi2.0
01-24-2004, 06:37 PM
that whining noise's is the brushes and or the bearing's.
it sorta sound's like a supercharger and between a ford powersteering pump.