PDA

View Full Version : clutch engagement question

bobafett
05-01-2002, 11:19 PM
this car has always had an odd clutch... i want to know if it is like this for all of you as well, since i have only driven one of these cars... :)

basically there is a lot of "dead" space, and there is not much room to work with between all/nothing... its not undrivable, but it sure gets some practice to be smooth... but its WAY different than all other sticks i have driven... does anybody know if this is common, or if there is something i can do about it?

we have had the clutch replaced, but the situation stayed the same....

ps, sorry if i didnt explain that well, i am a newbie to cars, lol!!!

dosh8er
05-02-2002, 06:49 AM
ROTFL. :D

Yeah, there is a big difference between a 3g and any other stick vehicle I've driven. I am exactly where you're at man. I replaced my clutch a couple thousand ago, but it still does it. I've learned the art of the clutch though. (at least mine) I had adjusted it about a thousand ago, and it had a lot of travel. But, if i set my foot on the clutch, and really ever-so-slowly let off with my foot all the way resting on the floor, I got a VERY nice shift. (it's really hard to explain, just push that baby all the way down, and try to keep your foot on the floor while really slowly releasing it) Now, I just adj. it a day or two ago, and it releases really quickly. not a lot of travel, but quick release. (no comfort there) You're right, it's either one or the other, unless somebody's had different experience with different parts (aftermarket stuff).

bobafett
05-02-2002, 09:27 AM
oh well, i will learn to live with it... if nothing else it will make me smoother in "easier" cars.... hehe

thx for the reply

88LXiHB
05-02-2002, 09:30 AM
All my friends say mine is wierd, I like it http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/dunno.gif

bobafett
05-02-2002, 09:42 AM
well it is good to know that all our cars are like this, and its not just mine having some strange fluke problem!! heheh :smokin:

88LXiHB
05-02-2002, 09:58 AM
My friend has a 92 Teg GS, and his clutch takes too much effort to use, I have to concentrate on keeping the clutch in...

87Hybrid
05-02-2002, 04:23 PM
I have had over 20 cars with a stick and mine is just as normal as all the rest.:werd:

87accordlxi
05-02-2002, 04:28 PM
my clutch has alot of travel, and grabs quickly too. but o well, im used to it. and every individual car is different. im just happy it works :rolleyes:

Jareds 89 LX-i
05-03-2002, 01:58 AM
Mine grabs pretty quick too, but I'm used to it, and I like how my clutch feels. Both my mom and my sister say it feels kinda weird, and my sister always slips the clutch (too much gas, and lets the clutch out slowly....as I cringe :mad: ). I'm so used to it though, I can drive it nice and smooth :)

You gotta remember, most cars driving around nowdays most likely have hydraulic clutches, so of course our cable operated ones are going to feel a little different. I know the hydraulic clutch in my moms '94 Accord feels and grabs different than mine

dosh8er
05-03-2002, 06:12 AM
Was the 4g when they started using hydralic clutches? Or was it more of a luxury item? (i.e. LX or higher)

Yeah, you're right about that cable thing. Cable clutch systems are much more 'stiffer' and harder to make a smooth transition. Although I'd perfer a cable over a hydralic because the cable is much more basic, less expensive, and would probably last longer, blah blah blah.

Has anyone ever installed a hydralic clutch system on our 3g's?

febigblockford
05-03-2002, 06:41 AM
You guys know there is a thumbwheel cable adjustment for the clutch on the 3rd Gen Accord right? That helps to make the pedal engage and digengage the clutch at the right point. It sounds like some of your problems (awkward release points and stuff) could be solved with a little tinkering of the thumbwheel adjustment down by the lower inside rear corner of the battery. I usually have my brother pull up gently on the cable to allow the adjustment to move and then I dial the plastic thumbwheel to where I think it should be. It usually takes a few adjustments to get it to feel right... and it takes some driving to get used to the new adjustment.

Try it, it's a 2 minute fix..... super easy!