PDA

View Full Version : Help! Whats the grill? Whats that black bar behind the bumper?

Dennis
01-13-2004, 08:36 AM
I called the junkyard about a front end for my accord. Anyways they said the grill was a hundred dollars but I don't exactly know what the grill is. Also, whats the black bar that goes across the front of the car? Right behind the bumper? When the previous owner of my car wrecked it, it bent that black metal bar all to hell so I'll need a new one of those unless I can mount the bumper over it without it bothering anything. Thanks!

Dennis
01-13-2004, 08:54 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/p8bcc8819685ebe84298c280988fa8b6a/faf419cb.jpg this is the black bar i'm talking about... does this need to be straightened to put my new bumper on once i get it? or can i just use the bent one? it's not bent really bad but it's not really straight either.

Dennis
01-13-2004, 08:56 AM
that above picture is not my car...

this is my car...
http://dennis.reallyrules.com/car/a7.jpg

k-roy
01-13-2004, 09:18 AM
Our cars really do not have a tradional "grille". The grille on our cars is the shiny part under the front lip of the hood right below the emblem. It stretches between the popups. Definitly not worth $100.

Ok the bumper has three main parts.
1. Outer plastic cover
2. Foam
3. inner black "support"

It would be a good idea to replace the inner support. $100 is not a good price. Shop around if you can. I paid $45 for all three parts. The junkyard probably didn't even pay $100 for the whole car.

shepherd79
01-13-2004, 10:14 AM
the metal part is actually is the bumper. after that you have foam that is just for slow speed accidents and to support the plastic cover ( that is what you see outside).
$100 for just the bumper is rip off. shop around, you should be able to find sheaper prices.
you can pick up brand new bumper cover on ebay for $50 + shipping.

shane_lxi
01-13-2004, 01:03 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/p8bcc8819685ebe84298c280988fa8b6a/faf419cb.jpg

HEY!!! It's my car. Well, soon to be car. I would offer to give you the front grill on my totaled car, but the previous owner put a BIG crack in it, so I am afraid I can't help you taht way. :(. I can however give you some good advice, DON'T PAY $100 DOLLARS FOR THE FRONT GRILL OR JUST FOR THE METAL BUMPER!!!!! You can go to a honda dealer and get it for cheaper, and that is brand new. Find a GOOD junk yard, and you're all set. :S That's my two bits :D

FWDburnout
01-13-2004, 01:44 PM
The "black bar" is believe it or not the actual bumper. If I was you I would get it replaced if you want it done right and not half ass. Me myself am not a half ass type of guy so I would get all three new parts. What are you Plans with this car that would help give you support. If its and everyday driver car than I would get the foam and wouldn't worry about the support. But for the grill think it is the thing under the Honda Emblom. definatly not worth the $100.

Dennis
01-13-2004, 08:49 PM
yeah it'll be just a daily driver, and a sleeper. I plan on doing engine mods but nothing major. I definitly won't be racing this car as it probably won't last long if I abuse it.

Blue Impact
01-13-2004, 11:24 PM
Just replace that black bar. You never know when it'll come handy. As for the grill, don't even pay more than $20 if you're getting it from a junkyard. $100 can get you more than just a grill and bumper (that comes with the foam and that black bar).

Dennis
01-14-2004, 12:22 AM
so when i call a junkyard looking for a bumper, the bumper i will be paying for will be all 3 pieces? the black support bar, the styrofoam and the fiberglass or whatever bumper?

Blue Impact
01-14-2004, 12:35 AM
If there's a Pick N Pull yard nearby, just go there and find your own bumper. I got a front bumper a while back with the foam and black bar for under $40. I swear it was for under $40 with out sales or discounts. Good luck.

Dennis
01-14-2004, 08:23 AM
damn, hopefully i'll find one for that price. a buddy of mine is going to junkyards and checking for me as i'm typing this since i'm always at work or at school. he said he'd find me one real cheap so hopefully i can start working on my car! thanks blue impact. :)

CH Massiv
01-18-2004, 02:06 PM
Pick your own yards are the best for two main reasons.

1. the parts are cheaper (and deep pockets can help the cost too)
2. you learn lots about the assembly by taking them off first.

I learned so much about my car taking shit off junkers at the yard. Sometimes you can score awesome finds too, like spark plug wires and cornerlights. Always look at every car that is the same as yours. Junk yards can be goldmines.

k-roy
01-18-2004, 02:08 PM
Pick your own yards are the best for two main reasons.

1. the parts are cheaper (and deep pockets can help the cost too)
2. you learn lots about the assembly by taking them off first.

I learned so much about my car taking shit off junkers at the yard. Sometimes you can score awesome finds too, like spark plug wires and cornerlights. Always look at every car that is the same as yours. Junk yards can be goldmines.

:werd:

:welcome: to the board.

MrBen
01-18-2004, 03:39 PM
Pick and pull yards are dirt cheap... I bought a rear knuckle for 7 dollars, whereas a yard where they pull it for you wanted 90. No difference in the product.

Dennis
08-19-2007, 08:23 PM
i cant believe i didnt know what the hell a impact bar was 3 years ago haha, i dont own a honda anymore, got a truck now, but funny thing is i work at a junk yard now.

A20A1
08-19-2007, 09:55 PM
BTW where is K-roy :)