PDA

View Full Version : Stupid crap removal.

drknow
01-13-2004, 03:53 PM
First off, sorry for the dumb title. Second off, sorry for the dumb question. Well here goes: Lets say "in theory" that I was going to remove all the extra vaccuum lines from my carb, remove the muffler(lol, i know...stupid), remove the air conditioner, and remove the power steering. what kind of power increase would i get???

Note that I probly wont do this, and it will not be a car to actually drive. Its just that I am getting a new ride and want something just for fun. Please dont yell at me for ruining a 3gee. I mean, the things a peice of crap anyways. :help:

BTW: is there any other crap i dont absolutely need to get the car going down the road short of taking the seats out?

BootMachine
01-13-2004, 04:19 PM
If you remove all the lines to the carb I bet your car wont even run!

If you cut the muffler off....you may see gains as high as 3HP in the top end but not usually!

If you cut the entire exhaust system off you may see gains as high as 4-5HP in the top end but you will have MUCH less bottom end.

shepherd79
01-13-2004, 04:20 PM
removing the vacuum lines, chanching the muffler ( don't just cut it off, replace with performance one), removing AC.
all this stuff will help with performance. you will see nice power gain, at least i saw some when i removed my lines.

Morpheus
01-13-2004, 05:20 PM
You wont see any power increase from removing A/C, none from removing your muffler, and almost none from removing your power steering. You will get better road feel however from removed p/s. If you want it quicker completely gut the interior. Thats about the best way to make your car quicker for free.

drknow
01-13-2004, 07:35 PM
ok thanks....maybe i should fabricate a simple dune buggy frame and go from there huh. Im thinkin a one seater with the engine in the back....that sucker would mooove.

k-roy
01-13-2004, 07:44 PM
Removing the vacuum lines can be done. My car is proof of that. There is an article in the howto section. You have to cap off a few lines, run some new hoses(basically 5 hoses you can reuse old ones) and retune the carb with a screwdriver. It took me about an hour and a half.

I did the vacuum line trick, new intake, removed power steering, cat, cruise, AC system and the EGR. Between that, fine tuning the carb through trial and error, playing around with timing. Between all that I would have to gues somewhere between 10-20 HP. The biggest thing is the throttle is much more responsive and hesitation is gone. It actually makes power below 3,000 rpm now.

drknow
01-13-2004, 07:45 PM
lol, well that would definitely save some gas, wouldnt it?

lightbulblxi
01-13-2004, 07:49 PM
hey morpheus, what do u mean by "better road feel"?

k-roy
01-13-2004, 07:55 PM
Better road feel is this. Making a triple lane change at high speed without fear that you are going to overshoot and fly off the freeway. A warning though, it can get annoying below 5 mph. I suggest before removing the pump just removing the belt to see what it is like.

BootMachine
01-14-2004, 11:19 AM
I didnt know you could remove all the lines from the A20 carb...I'm just glad I have a Fuel INfected A20!

and removing the power steering gives you more gains than you would expect! I did it to my lude!

k-roy
01-14-2004, 08:23 PM
lol, well that would definitely save some gas, wouldnt it?
I get 43 mpg on the highway compared to about 38 before. :cheers: