PDA

View Full Version : Block heater

89accordex
01-14-2004, 08:25 PM
does the 89 accord ex have a block heater i'm not sure were to look to see if it does.

Bioforge
01-14-2004, 08:29 PM
maybe they put something on the canadian models, but I am pretty sure it doesnt have one though.

89accordex
01-14-2004, 09:13 PM
Are they hard to install and is the part expensive?

nswst8
01-14-2004, 11:05 PM
Not if you get one of those that is like an element that inserts through the dip stick, works like a coffee warmer. Except this keeps the oil warm. Should be able to pick one up at the auto parts store.
Hope this helps. LOL
NSWST8 :cheers:

89accordex
01-14-2004, 11:09 PM
I don't understand what you mean ,how will i check my oil if theres a block heater there.

TINBOAT
01-15-2004, 04:52 AM
Block heater's were an option (dealer installed)...and if you want one in yer car, you can buy on from just about any parts store..the most common is the element type that fits into the block (replaces a frost plug)....But I've found the best way to go (in the frozen north) is to install a recirculating unit, which is installed by splicing it into a heater hose..plug that sucker in for a few hours, leave your heater control in the 'hot' position, and you have a warm engine, and instant heat when you start yer car.
The dipstick type is an oil heater, which is a good idea, but takes a long time to warm things up....dont worry about checking your oil, it's just like a dipstick with a cord on the top end of it.
..another type is a magnetic heater that sticks to the bottom of the oil pan, they worked great, but failed miserably in popularity when most were found on the side of a snowy road that wasnt plowed quite good enuf, and the cords attached to them had little peices of some expensive grills still attached to the 'plug' end.

..hope that gives you a good visual :)

89accordex
01-15-2004, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the help