PDA

View Full Version : Securing Sub

MrBen
01-14-2004, 08:59 PM
I posted a thread asking this question a long time ago, but I can't find it.

I have a 10" sub, the plastic corrugated trunk bottom, and the amp.

Question one: Should the amp be secured to the side of the sub? How? Screws? Can screws go all the way through the wood?

Question two: How the hell do I secure the sub to the car? I don't have a solid bottom to screw it into, nor do I want one (additional weight).

Vanilla Sky
01-14-2004, 09:03 PM
you need tons of VELCRO... get the best velcro you can find... that will hold it... TRUST ME

sccrsteve5
01-14-2004, 09:08 PM
My box fits squarely between the wheel wells and stays put on the carpet...never moves an inch...you can mount ur amp to ur sub box just be sure not to let any air out the holes + it will be ten times easier to steal...you can put a metal or aluminum or whatever type of bar around ur box and secure the bar to the seat...shouldn't move then...or just put a bar across the front, somewhat like a strut...sure some other guys have some ideas so lets hear them

MrBen
01-14-2004, 09:13 PM
Well the carpet slides around. The velcro on the edges of the carpet doesn't do much. I guess it could work though.

Vanilla Sky
01-14-2004, 09:42 PM
the velcro will hold... i've used good velcro to hold stuff (heavy stuff) in place for ages... just gotta make sure you have enough to hold it down

and as for the carpet sliding around... trim it up some and put the velcro onto the actual floor of the trunk, maybe add in a crossmember (something light) for extra support

mykwikcoupe
01-14-2004, 09:48 PM
I tried velcro also and am still at odds with it. I orefer to fold down the rear seat and put a srew through the metal piece of the back seat rest/trunk thingy into the box. It holds very well for me. I also angle my boxes to conform to the shape of the trunk.

Ill ahve to try the velcro again and find more this time

Vanilla Sky
01-14-2004, 09:49 PM
the biggest thing with velcro is the fact that the adhesive on the back is weak... if you REALLY want it to be good, get some without adhesive, and epoxy that shit on there

TJ89Accord
01-14-2004, 10:14 PM
Yah velcro is always pretty good, as for mounting the amp, I think that mounting it on the box is ghetto, I put mine on the pack of the seat. That way all the wires are hidden except for a little bit of speaker wire that goes to the box.

tim

danronian
01-15-2004, 06:09 AM
I would just put a real thin piece of wood in place of the plastic and mount it all through the carpet and wood. I did this and the wood is not much heavier then the previous cardboard/wood that I trashed.

BDaccordguy
01-15-2004, 06:37 PM
alright, i have a failsafe way to mount it. i was thinking of the velcro thing, but i didnt think that i could trust it (being that have two very large 15" sub boxes that could potentially damage some stuff if they got moving around. so what i did was go to lowes, by one of those little bags of L brackets that come with screws, and screw one end into the box and one through the carpet and plastic thingy. the brackets are very small, and the boxes have not moved an inch, and i drive pretty aggressively.

FWDburnout
01-16-2004, 01:26 AM
I have a dual 10" power wedge by JL Audio it fits snug in between the wheel wells. it doesn't move at all. as for the amp I put mine under the passanger seat. can't see any wires. plus very hard to steal have to remove the seat unbolt it from the floor and and take it that way. so what ever suits you fancy will work.