PDA

View Full Version : Smoke and Gas Smell

88AccordEXi
01-15-2004, 02:25 PM
I finally got my car runnin again, I was in the drivers seat and i started to smell gas, i got out and noticed the cabin and my whoel backyard including my exhaust and under the hood was a thick blue smoke and raw gas smell. Anyone have any ideas of what it could be? O2 Sensor?

Its Carbed and not in the best shape

ACCORD EX
01-15-2004, 02:52 PM
where does the smoke come from !? check the oil level ( PS + Engine )

Mike !

shepherd79
01-15-2004, 06:13 PM
if it was first start i would say you had some smoke in the cylinders.
but if it does every time you start, you have bigger problem.

x3r0
01-16-2004, 07:04 AM
My car used to do the same thing... cold morning, cold start, mixture on the carb was bad.. and a problem now im dealing with today.
:-) course my smoke was more black... but on a cold start it would be bluish just because theres a lot of white smoke ( just plain moister normal) but on a really cold day.. . it wasn't rare for me to fill the air with smoke... and the gas smell would go all the way into the building I worked and they complained.. but its nothing major on my car.. needed tunning.. and the choke opener is not operating correctly... check ur carb... if the choke is closed shut whiel ur car is smoking.. thats your problem :-) no air getting in to mix with teh gas.. so u shoot str8 gas.

'A20A3'
01-16-2004, 12:35 PM
It sounds like you're burning oil and your carb is tuned so that you car runs very rich.

88AccordEXi
01-19-2004, 10:48 AM
I only know EFI because I am studying as a mechanic so I dont know carbs but i just remembered that I put my foot to the floor, it goes to 4K and wont go any higher, also while its gettin up to 4K it sounds like sputtering and a errrrrrrrrrrr sound, lol maybe someone knows what im talkin about? The smoke comes from the air box when i flip the lid, and back left side of the engine compartment where exhaust hooks up, i believe it also comes from the o2 sensor area but its like -30 outside and i dun wanna go check lol

88AccordEXi
01-19-2004, 10:58 AM
I only know EFI because I am studying as a mechanic so I dont know carbs but i just remembered that I put my foot to the floor, it goes to 4K and wont go any higher, also while its gettin up to 4K it sounds like sputtering and a errrrrrrrrrrr sound, lol maybe someone knows what im talkin about? The smoke comes from the air box when i flip the lid, and back left side of the engine compartment where exhaust hooks up, i believe it also comes from the o2 sensor area but its like -30 outside and i dun wanna go check lol

Mike's89AccordLX
01-19-2004, 11:22 AM
Well it could be a bad intake valve b/c that could cause the exhaust to go the wrong way. And would explain why it chugs all the time.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-19-2004, 11:24 AM
You might want to have a compression test done. And a vacuum test also.

88AccordEXi
01-20-2004, 08:02 PM
Good suggestions, Anyone else? im shootin in the dark as well as most of you probably are, but i dun have a lot of money so if i pick a part to fix its the only one for a while lol so intake valve.. burnin oil.. ps + engine oil levels.. plugged cat maybe? Any suggestions are appreciated

Blkblurr
01-21-2004, 06:35 AM
Has the car been burning oil before this happened? If yes, you may have a plugged catalytic converter. My bet is on a bad exhaust valve as well.