PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Fluid Overflow

wthramann
01-15-2004, 04:25 PM
The other day I changed the oil and noticed the power steering fluid level was low so I filled it up to the top fill line. Now I see puddles on the floor in my garage. So I look at the reservoir and the cap is popped off and fluid is all over from the top of the reservoir down. Can I assume that the cold weather (subzero Farenheit) allowed the air to expand fast enough to blow the cap off as it warmed up and the fluid spilled out or is there another reason the cap could pop off?

shepherd79
01-15-2004, 06:11 PM
you didn't remove the belt did you?

wthramann
01-15-2004, 06:39 PM
No, I simply added the Honda PS fluid and popped the red top back on. It is too cold to do much now but I think I will keep the fluid level slightly low and wait to see if it continues to cause puddles.

Neuspeed87lx
01-15-2004, 07:09 PM

thats what i thought at first ... mabey had some air in the system.... and before when the fluid level was down it didnt make a difference... but then when you filled the fluid it now leaks out ?...... fill it up ...turn the wheel all the way to the left .... shut the car off.... let it sit for like 5 min ...start it .... turn the wheel all the way to the right .... shut the car off ... let it sit again ....always checking the fluid level and keeping it full .... that should get the air out if there is any

mykwikcoupe
01-15-2004, 07:59 PM
my 89 sedan did this religiously for a while. it turns out that the pump went bad internally and pumped the fluid out of the top of the reservior. The pumps at the stealerships are like 3-500 so try to find one used in good shape. It fixed mine right away. If it is an air bubble it would go away in a few turns back and forth of the steering wheel. Have someone watch the reservior as you turn the wheel and see if it like mine or not

shepherd79
01-16-2004, 10:38 AM
actually you supposed to turn your wheel all the way to the right and all the way to the left without shutting car off. that is what honda manual says.
the more you turn the more air you will move out.
just start the car and turn your steering wheel all the way to the right and left a few times.

1988starter
01-16-2004, 11:42 AM
That happens to me every winter when it is below 10 degrees

wthramann
01-18-2004, 06:39 PM
thank you all for your thoughts. I doubt air in system as level never got that low (just above higher return). I did watch the reservoir while turning the wheel lock to lock and I noted some turbulent flow into the reservoir but no major change in the fluid level. My other thought is there might be some water in the system that freezes at subzero temperatures but I do not understand how that could lead to the above described scenario. Maybe this Spring I will change the fluid as I have never done so in 15 years. Change the pump? I think I will wait til the next trip to the junk yard...