PDA

View Full Version : vacuum hoses

89accordex
01-15-2004, 09:41 PM
Are the vacuum hoses all the same size on a 89 accord?I want to buy a roll and replace all of mine if so what is the sizes?And anyone know approx how much i'll need?

k-roy
01-15-2004, 10:50 PM
95% of the hoses are the same size. The brake vacuum for example is larger.
Im not sure of the exact size, cut a small inch long piece off a random hose and put it back on. Then take the small piece into the store. I would get 20 feet just to have a little extra around. Be careful when you remove the old hoses, replace one at a time so you don't screw it up. A easy way to get them off is to cut them lengthwise on the end with a boxcutter. That way they peel right off without having to yank on them hard.

HaccordR89
01-15-2004, 11:04 PM
while on the subject, i would like to get rid of some of the vacuum hoses, they clutter the hell out of the engine bay, are they ALL neccesary?

k-roy
01-15-2004, 11:07 PM
Hell no they are not nessisary. If you have enissions testing DO NOT DO THIS, You will fail, guarenteed.
Vacuum line removal (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=11067)
After doing this you probably will have to retune the carb. It took me an hour to redo the lines and 5 minutes to tweak the carb.

89accordex
01-15-2004, 11:08 PM
They must be there for a reason thats why i'm just gonna replace them all,should i notice any improvement when i'm finished?

k-roy
01-15-2004, 11:10 PM
When I first got my 2 and a half years ago I played around with the seemingly endless miles of lines and never really saw an improvement. I replaced most of them and it was pointless.

You will notice an immediate improvement after removing the lines.
I noticed a increase of power and it got rid of all the hesitation below 3,000 rpms.
I get better gas mileage now too.

89accordex
01-15-2004, 11:15 PM
Really,thats what i'm looking to get rid of the hesitation and my gas milage is good but better gas mileage would be a bonus,if i remove the lines will my reliability suffer?And would a mechanic do this for me i don't wanna start screwing with the carb and all that.

HaccordR89
01-15-2004, 11:16 PM
my cars fuel injected..does it still matter??

k-roy
01-15-2004, 11:19 PM
I doubt a mechanic would want to touch it. It removes emission equipment that is mandated by law. So if it ever got back to them it could get them into some serious trouble.

Reliablity should be the same, if not better because the probability of a vacuum leak is decreased if done correctly.

I only had to turn my idle mixture screw about a half turn. The howto section gives a full article on tuning a carb that is easy to follow.

89accordex
01-15-2004, 11:23 PM
we don't test for emisions in the province i am in so my mechanic might do it.He's a backyard mechanic but he's licenced and know cars well.

k-roy
01-15-2004, 11:23 PM
my cars fuel injected..does it still matter??

Way different. You have about 1/5 of the lines as a carb, you are lucky. I would not reccomend messing with them.

we don't test for emisions in the province i am in so my mechanic might do it.He's a backyard mechanic but he's licenced and know cars well.

Just print out the howto on vacuum lines and carb tuning and he should be able to hook you up.

So far on my car I still have the stock carb. I have removed the powersteering (useless in my opinion), A/C (It was dead anyways), vacuum lines, catalytic convertor, and egr. and I have a custom air intake.
Between those mods and fine tuning the carb and timing I have added a good 20HP.

89accordex
01-15-2004, 11:26 PM
Wow that's really good hp gain for such cheap mods,bigger carb and i'd bet you'd really notice the difference.

k-roy
01-15-2004, 11:30 PM
Wow that's really good hp gain for such cheap mods,bigger carb and i'd bet you'd really notice the difference.

Thats a good point, but I am cheap. My car has some rust and the paintjob is not the greatest. Not too bad but I am picky. A Weber 32/36DGV is a good choice in a replacement carb, along with a header and a reground cam I should be able to pull around 150HP out of that setup. I currently get 43MPG on the highway and I do not want to cut into that.

I just picked up a 90 Integra LS with a blown engine for real cheap. That is what I am going to concentrate my money on this year. I will still keep the Accord around as a beater. The Teg is in excelent condition all around, it is from Florida. I plan on doing all the Speed mods to that car.

HaccordR89
01-15-2004, 11:34 PM
sucks i know i had less lines but there's still a ton, i'm going to dick around with them one of these days