PDA

View Full Version : How reliable are these accords?

89accordex
01-15-2004, 10:20 PM
I have a 89 accord ex with almost 300,000km on it i drive this car easy and do regular maintanence on it,how many more km's should i get outta this car if i drive it easy and keep doing regular maintance,i heard of them going for well over 500,000km,i found one forsale with 450,000,for $300 lot og km's but might make a nice parts car.

k-roy
01-15-2004, 10:26 PM
It all depends on how well you take care of the car. I have seen many in junkyards with well over 200,000 miles on them. It is all about how well you take care of it. Change the oil religously, do regular tuneups, make sure the alignment and all that stuff is good. As long as you cover the basics, use good gas and oil, and don't drive the piss out of it they last a long time.

I have not had a real problem in the last year. The last thing big I did was brakes and driveshafts. I have also done the fuel pump, battery and alternator. Nothing that is unacceptable for an older car.

pimp86LX
01-15-2004, 10:33 PM
even if you blow the engine, its not hard to do a basic rebuild. That'll give ya another few hundred thousand km :cheers:

89accordex
01-15-2004, 10:45 PM
Not bad the most i've done to mine is oil changes air filter plugs and wires tranny fluid altenator battery brakes,next on the list is to get my exhaust fixed get my timing belt done valve cover gasket and have my valves adjusted,i also need an alignment.

MrBen
01-15-2004, 11:01 PM
In the time I've had my car, I've had the timing belt, water pump, oil pan, oil changes, transmission fluid changes, choke stat replaced, battery replaced, brakes/rotors, balljoints, tires, windshield, repair to accidents, carb adjustments, major tune up (Including spark plugs, wires, filters, pcv valve, other items). Next on the list is inner tie rod ends.

Still the original engine and transmission, and it runs pretty damn good for 235,000 miles. Never broken down on me.

89accordex
01-15-2004, 11:19 PM
nice,anyone have a link to mile to km conversions or km to miles like i just type it in and hit calculated and i'll have the #

MrBen
01-15-2004, 11:27 PM
http://mercury.nineplanets.org:8011/tnp4kids/metric3.htm

Just type it in and click the green button.

89accordex
01-15-2004, 11:30 PM
Thanks exactly what i was looking for.

HaccordR89
01-16-2004, 12:46 AM
i think 300,000km is about 180,000miles just a guess. theese cars are reliable as hell though, like i've said before..the resale value speaks for itself.

Jareds 89 LX-i
01-17-2004, 02:44 PM
331,250 miles (532,981.25 km) here, original engine and tranny, and alot of other original parts. Still runs and drives like brand spankin new, cold a/c and all. Just keep up with the few little things here and there, and it'll run
F-O-R-E-V-E-R!! (seriously!). A20's are friggin bulletproof lil mofos! hahah

Silver86LX
01-17-2004, 05:31 PM
They're very reliable, except mine is dying becasue the previous owner probably neglected the engine. But, if it's in good shape, your car could last you a long while.

nswst8
01-17-2004, 05:38 PM
194,000 Just maintence items. While I was in shop class one of my instructors was a former Honda Master Mechanic told me to hang on to it and if I did decide to sell it, to call him, he would buy it. As this is probably gospel. :bow:
Hope this helps.
NSWST8 :cheers:

RobT5580
01-17-2004, 05:55 PM
I personally love them and of my 3 89 Accord's i have done little to keep them running good. I had problems with my second one but that was because of my mechanic.

My first one got rid of at around 190,000 miles all original except one axle and water pump.

The second one was fine after i got rid of that mechanic iv had to do a few things like struts, downpipe, some misc things but its got around 175,000 and running strong.

My nicer coupe now is at 150,000 and is all original on original water pump and timing belt. Oh and this is on a original automatic which has impressed me cause i know they normally suck. The only reason why im pushing it is cause im doing the B20A swap soon so it really dont matter if it blows or not. Although i need it to hold out a little longer because my girl still has my other accord untill she gets a new car.

But im impressed at how they have held up considering the amount of miles i put on them and the first two cars i was pretty hard on. The nice one iv pretty much babied but it will get some abuse when the turbo goes in plus its not going to be a daily driver or so i think. I do enjoy driving that car more than the other one though. And i met a older honda tech and he had not one bad thing to say about the car. He said that was one of the best cars they put out in his opinion.

I am planning on replacing my second one with the best possible one i can find with low miles to be my daily driver. I found one for $5500 with 40k on it but its an automatic and i would preffer to start out with a 5spd but this is the type i will be looking at when i pick up another one.

HondaBoy
01-17-2004, 06:56 PM
ive gotta say the 3gee is one of the most reliable cars that was made. maybe not the #1, but its close. most you will see on the road have over 200000 miles on it. my uncle that lives in houston has one that has over 350000 miles on it and it runs smooth and quiet. he is a mechanic, so that helps also. but yeah, i havent had any major engine problems. only problems ive had with mine are little parts like hoses and belts but i guess those dont count. when my car over heated and seized up, it still started fine after it cooled off, that was due to a heater hose. my water pump went out and i just got that fixed. other than that, the engine and transmission are doing realy good. although it has only about 96000 miles now, that low for this car.

RobT5580
01-17-2004, 09:53 PM
I forgot to mention that i applied for a job at a local Honda dealer before i worked at Audi/Porsche and they had a wall of customers cars and the mileage and im happy to say the majority were 3rd gen accords and a lot of them had 200,000 and up i think one even was at 400,000 and still going. I thought that was cool because a few owners had multiple pictures and showed the mileage increases.

Mike89Accordcom
01-18-2004, 02:48 AM
Almost 9 years, I'd say I owned one of the best, most reliable cars ever! It had it's usual maintenance, or few things to go wrong, but not often. That car never let me down, nor did it ever break down on me. I also babied it which helped I'm sure. Very well made car, and would suggest for anybody to buy. I'm glad I bought one. Couldn't be happier. Nice uniqe style, sporty flip up lights....

POS carb
01-20-2004, 01:18 PM
it may break down, but it's a soldier, it always limps all the way home
249k miles motor, auto tranny was a victim of my abusive driving (rebuilt it)