PDA

View Full Version : Gas filler pipe.

k-roy
01-16-2004, 07:29 AM
When I got my car the previous owner did not know much, she just drove it. She did however have the two recalls taken care of. The seatbelt and the gas filler pipe.

I have heard that the pipe rusting out was a big problem on our cars. When I got it the pipe looked perfect. It is now starting to rust. I am going to have it replaced as a precautionary measure. This is something I will pay the dealer to do, I don't want to risk a spark and killing myself.

My question is can I have the pipe coated? I was thinking about powdercoat but I am not sure if gasoline will eat right through it or not. Anyone have any suggestions?

Dibbs
01-16-2004, 07:46 AM
Gas doesn't eat through metal. The condensation that is formed outside the filler pipe while pumping gas can though. You could have it powder coated but any good spray paint would serve the same purpose.

k-roy
01-16-2004, 07:47 AM
Thanks Dibbs, I want to have the inside and the outside coated.
It is rusting from the inside out.
So I need to know what I can use that will not dissolve in gasoline.
I don't trust a spray can, I want to have it professionally done.

Dibbs
01-16-2004, 08:09 AM
Well, considering your filler pipe has lasted 16 years, I don't see why getting another OEM filler pipe wouldn't last just as long. I wouldn't do anything to it and just get the replacement and if you do happen to have the car another 16 years, just replace it again. That's a long time for a part to hold up.

k-roy
01-16-2004, 08:10 AM
True, but the pipe was replaced about 3-4 years ago so I am a little disappointed.

Dibbs
01-16-2004, 08:14 AM
True, but the pipe was replaced about 3-4 years ago so I am a little disappointed.

hmm.....well, I don't know about powder coating, I'd have to check but getting it ceramic lined & coated would help. A teflon lining would do the trick too but I don't know where you're gonna find a place to get that done. I guess I'll say ceramic is the best bet until I can check up on some things.

Imran
01-16-2004, 10:51 AM
hey Dibbs,

I have a spare filler pipe and the mount so if you want that let me know...

I got one for my car but the guys were asking too much to fix it so i gave up on that idea... :)

Imran

Dibbs
01-16-2004, 11:02 AM
It's Kroy that needs it. I may need one soon but not right now.

k-roy
01-16-2004, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the offer Imran.
I just called the dealer and they said they would give it to me for free. They want to charge to install it though. Oh well I might as well get it, the price is perfect.

'A20A3'
01-16-2004, 12:43 PM
Idea...Rust-O-Leum??

goldadition
01-16-2004, 07:57 PM
yes rustoleum is Very Very nice!! but not sure about the inside of the tube. another rust "eater" and i do mean eater is extend from napa. it actually eats the rust and primes it all in one.

i had no idea their was a recall on the filler tubes. mine is still factory because the car was undercoated within the first year the guy owned it and they sprayed the tube as well. so any dealer will just give me a new tube? thats awsome. whats labor on that anyway(hours). I just put silocone sealer over the big hole until i got it fixed. doesn't leak in the same place as before just lower on the tube.

LX-i BOY
01-16-2004, 08:12 PM
not to steal this thread but kroy you said something about an seat-belt recall i found that on kbb recalls and i took it to one of the honda dealers around me and they said they would have to look at it to see if mine qualified and that they would have to charge me 80$?? how the hell can they get away with that and what should i do???????

k-roy
01-16-2004, 11:55 PM
They can legally charge for the labor, not the part. The problem with the seatbelts affected millions of Japanese cars from the late 80s and early 90s. The problem is the button you push to release the belt can chip and the piece gets stuck in the mechnism. That blocks the seatbelt from securely latching. The way to test it is to latch the belt and pull really hard. If it stays you are ok. If it comes loose you have the problem. I can fix it in 5 minutes while drunk. It takes a 14mm or so wrench to remove the lower part of the seatbelt that connects to the floor. Take out the old and put in the new, thats it.

DBMaster
01-17-2004, 08:55 AM
I wonder if the gas filler pipe recall was just for certain parts of the country, or earlier 3g's than the 89 that I have.

I have my car registered on Honda Owner Link. I also checked the relatively new government web site recalls.gov. The web site consolidates a lot of recall information in one place - pretty neat. Anyway, the ONLY recall on my car was the seat belt buckle thing. That was taken care of back in 1997. If the release buttons were broken the dealer replaced the whole buckle. If, like on mine, the buckles were OK the dealer put on these black plastic shields that fit around the buckles.

inwywind
01-18-2004, 08:45 PM
i took it to one of the honda dealers around me and they said they would have to look at it to see if mine qualified and that they would have to charge me 80$?? how the hell can they get away with that and what should i do???????

I am looking for info to bring to the dealer with the request for the seat belt service. I have seen a few posts on lifetime warrenty but need info to back it to avoid the problem you ran into.
Also on OmegaMotors.com recall info it states that if your dealor does not fix it free of charge in a reasonable time to contact Honda at 1-800-999-1009 or the NHTSA at 1-800-424-9393