PDA

View Full Version : Front speaker brackets to small.

DaveC
01-16-2004, 08:34 AM
My front speaker brackets are to small for my soeakers. There 6.5 audiobahn 350w each and the magnets hit the back. If i take the bracket off i cant mount the speakers. How did yous peoples do it?

k-roy
01-16-2004, 09:11 AM
Damn those are some powerful puppies. The only way i can think of mounting them is to remove the baskets and cut out the backs. Then remount them so you can fit them in all the way.
Thats what my friend did in his 4th gen Accord.
I was lucky and got speakers that actually fit without sizing them up first.

Bloodlust
01-16-2004, 09:59 AM
This is weird cause I was gonna post a thread about the same thing today. I was wondering how to do it as well. Mine are a real ghetto job cause the magnets hit the back. They are MB Quart 6.5's with crossover. Pretty powerful, but huge magnet.

FWDburnout
01-16-2004, 10:14 AM
my friend had a 4th gen and he took his door panel off and he cut the back of the brackets off and then put the panel back on an they fit just fine.

danronian
01-16-2004, 10:17 AM
If you take out the basket/mount the speaker magnet will interfere with the window (the window will hit the magnet). Just either cut the basket off of the mount and just use the part that the speaker mounts to, but with huge magnets they will still probably hit the window. IMO the best option is to cut a plywood ring to mount between the speaker and window to keep it from interfering with the window (not my idea, its been posted many times). I would also get something to go around the back of the speaker (rubber pods) or it will be exposed to outside elements from inside the door (since water could run down the window seal or splash up from the door drain holes).

FWDburnout
01-16-2004, 10:24 AM
Yeah the window is a problem. I would do it and if it interfears wih the window than I would do the plywood ring thing. But from experiense I havenevr had that problem.

shepherd79
01-16-2004, 10:50 AM
my speakers were hitting the basket, so i just cut the back of the basket and used the ring to mount the speakers.

Bloodlust
01-16-2004, 11:01 AM
my speakers were hitting the basket, so i just cut the back of the basket and used the ring to mount the speakers.

Yeah I did the same thing, but I made a goof on my previous reply. I was just thinking of getting new door panels or just the baskets and do it right this time. But oh well, it looks ok.

lightbulblxi
01-16-2004, 01:19 PM
i just stuck my jbls in it. the magnet fit tightly

DaveC
01-16-2004, 08:05 PM
these things nearly hit the door itself. Ill have to some way make a ring as yous said but im not good with cutting and measuring. I was thinking of mounting them alittle from the door so its not flush but it would take away from the sound quality. The door itself acts and a sub enclosure.

soljaboy2000
01-16-2004, 08:50 PM
Yeah, I had just cut the back of basket also

POS carb
01-20-2004, 08:48 AM
use plywood and make a spacer

StUpiD8000
01-24-2004, 02:30 AM
wow..That suck..Im in the same bout..well was..I got some Audiobahns up frunt too...I had to fiberglass pods to make them fit...Theres really no way around it with the Audiobahns eather...You cut the stupid little black thing..ok now thay fit in the hole...But you window will hit the baskit..Not the magnet..You have 2 more inchs to go..Then when you get the window to clear..The stock cover/grill wont fit...If and when I get a dige cam..Im going to make a how-to on the pods I made..Really stupid easy to do...The way I made them

Hash_man_Se_i
01-24-2004, 06:14 PM
Well i just got my speakers put in today, and they are the 5.5" Focal Polykevlars... And man was it a tight fit, i could not fit the dust boots on, because it was so tight in the doors, but they made adapter plates so they could fit in the 6.5" openings, and they fit.

The main problem was fitting the tweeters somewhere, lol. They ended up building out pods with fiberglass and what not on the a-pillers, and damn does it looks sweet, and then the crossovers went under the dash... it sounds INCREDIBLE!!!!!!

89AcCOrDmike
01-24-2004, 07:00 PM
i did my infiniti kappas in my 5g by taking out that basket, sawing off the back end of it and sanding it smooth, worked like a charm and looks clean if you do it right

zero.counter
01-24-2004, 07:15 PM
You can use some fiberglass to create a mounting plate after making a template out of the old basket. Then use a rubber baffle available from crutchfield to protect the speaker from moisture...

StUpiD8000
01-25-2004, 12:09 AM
You can use some fiberglass to create a mounting plate after making a template out of the old basket. Then use a rubber baffle available from crutchfield to protect the speaker from moisture...
o ya..Dont forget to get baffles..Good money spent...Try looking at www.partsexpress.com like $1.00 each I think...Same ones I us