PDA

View Full Version : help me build a box

88 Accord DX
01-16-2004, 10:05 AM
ive got an HX2 i wanna built a custom box for but it recommends that it has .8-4 cu. ft. of space. where would be the optimal space to be for the best sound??

here is a site with more info:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MhPFmb1fKQR/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?a=0&s=0&cc=01&g=67700&id=features_and_specs&i=575RFD2212

dXsquared
01-16-2004, 01:15 PM
what do you want? you want nice sounding tight bass? or boomy loud sloppy bass? or do you want somthing in the middle?

Travis

Bloodlust
01-16-2004, 01:34 PM
There is a program that my friend uses to design boxes that fit a specific sub. Ill try and get the name for it and possibly a link.

dXsquared
01-16-2004, 02:01 PM
its called WinISD the beta version is available for free...

anyway, if you want to use that program, make shur you know what your doing and what you want to get out of the box

Travis

88 Accord DX
01-17-2004, 04:13 PM
i wanna get tight clean bass. i listen to alot of techno and rock.

dXsquared
01-17-2004, 04:37 PM
build a 1.25 cube sealed box.. it will make nice tight bass that will play the techno and rock great

Travis

pmip
01-17-2004, 09:11 PM
i wanna get tight clean bass. i listen to alot of techno and rock.
Then, no offense, but get a differant sub. The HX2s can get plenty loud, but are definately not very sq oriented (a.k.a. tight, clean, accurate, etc.). However if you already bought the sub and you will be sending it near it's rated power, take DXHATCHBACK's advice and build a 1.25 ft^3 sealed box or build a 2-2.25 ft^3 ported box tuned LOW. The less power you will be sending it, the bigger you will want your box (it will become more efficient and the lower frequencies will be a little louder, but it won't be able to handle as much power and will sound a little "boomier").

KoNEY
02-02-2004, 05:29 PM
also no offense, but why wouldnt hx2's be good enough?? i mean they're not spl speakers for competitions or anything, and he could mean he has a punch, not a power.....but im just curious.

pmip
02-03-2004, 04:11 PM
also no offense, but why wouldnt hx2's be good enough?? i mean they're not spl speakers for competitions or anything, and he could mean he has a punch, not a power.....but im just curious.

I didn't mean to say that the HX2s weren't good enough, I just meant that there were better drivers available for the money. I was assuming he had (or was getting) the punch series because that was the link he posted. While the RF HX2 punch is more SQ oriented then other drivers from RF, it is far from a SQ sub. And it is by no means a bad sub (I consider it a pretty good sub), there are just better subs out there for the money. For example, the e12a from elemental designs is around the same price and has MUCH better SQ, a 3 year warranty, almost double the HX2s linear excursion, doesn't need such a large box, is more efficient, handles more power, can get louder, has a much more linear moter (will not lose BL), etc. Other subs include Brahma, Better Audio12, RE XXX, IDMAX, Magnum D2, mmats, Xtant, Diamond Audio and many others depending on the spl:sq ratio he wants, and the amount of money. The main reason RF drivers are so popular is because most people aren't aware that these other drivers exist, or else would rather just get a more mainstream driver that's widely available.

soljaboy2000
02-03-2004, 04:40 PM
I bulit a box before with some cheapo wood from Lowe's , wood glue and my Dremel for about $30 total......:D:D:D It worked ok for my Kicker Comps back then

EvilPenciler
02-03-2004, 07:18 PM
the type of wood depends on teh sound you want ....
I dig swap ash and maple personally

mattalica
02-03-2004, 07:50 PM
I bulit a box before with some cheapo wood from Lowe's , wood glue and my Dremel for about $30 total......:D:D:D It worked ok for my Kicker Comps back then
Dude,FU** LOWE"S.In da as$!(check my profile)Anyway I did the same thing for my kenwood 12's for a total cost of $8.00 Yes $8.00.That was including Titebond wood glue!I used 3/4" high density fiber board and made a 2.0^3 box for each 12 and it works great.Truthfully though it is very sloppy when I rock rage against the machine or METALLICA(rules).IT is verry loud if not super clean.But when I jam the Beastie boys it bumps hard enough to shake the cars next to me.

HOODY09_86
02-06-2004, 09:07 AM
ive got an HX2 i wanna built a custom box for but it recommends that it has .8-4 cu. ft. of space. where would be the optimal space to be for the best sound??

here is a site with more info:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MhPFmb1fKQR/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?a=0&s=0&cc=01&g=67700&id=features_and_specs&i=575RFD2212

If you can a make a custom bandpass i would definitely do it. I have just got an hx2 and I have it in a bandpass and it handles high and low frequencies really well. Search on the web and you can find ways to make custom boxes and how to calculate the sq footage.