PDA

View Full Version : battery problem...

Imran
01-16-2004, 10:41 AM
hey guys.. i need some help.. Since it started snowing over here, my battery has been draining out. i have no idean wats wrong. What happened a couple of time before is when i start the car everything would just shut down then i would just shake the battery wire a little and it would start but now it just drains.. the alternator is fine coz once i jump it, it runs and the battery charges too. I was fine for the last 2 days so then i turned the amp and sub on.. and then last night i saw it again.. asi revved up the headlights went brighter .... I am guessing its my amp.. but i am not sure haven't cheked it yet (its so f**king cold here) could it be something else too... what do you guys think.. :help:

thanx guys.. help greatly appreciated.
Imran

accordlxi2.0
01-16-2004, 11:08 AM
do u leave the rear defrost switch on.
there's was some recall on this.

k-roy
01-16-2004, 11:13 AM
The battery sounds like it is toast. If you have an amp a capacitor is a great idea, it stores energy and keeps the battery from dying.
Do you have a voltmeter or a multimeter? If not take it to an auto parts store to have it checked out.

Blkblurr
01-16-2004, 11:44 AM
A capacitor on your amp will have no effect on draining your battery or keeping it from draining. I'm assuming Kroy you are talking about a cap to stop distortion while playing alot of base? It sounds like your right on AccordLxi 2.0 with your diagnostics. Try the same thing again after leaving it off for a while. If it does it again after you connect it back, you've found the problem. Another thing that batteries can do is to short out internally. This can kill the battery immediately or drain it slowly. Batteries also cannot hold as much of a charge when they are cold. Please let me know if you have more questions

shepherd79
01-16-2004, 02:56 PM
go to autozone and they will check the alternator.
one of my friends wanted me to fix the problem with the battery. i took the car to autozone and buddy of mine checked it and told me that alternator was actually pulling the amps from the battery when it was running, but it was showing 14.5V
so go to autozone and let them check the alternator.

Blkblurr
01-17-2004, 04:53 AM
If the alternator is producing 14.5 Volts, it is functioning properly. Alternators always drain current while running in order to power the stator coils. The key is whether the voltage regulator is draining power after the engine is shut off. Autozone does not check this. You can check it if you have a voltmeter and use it to measure current flow through the positive lead of the alternater while disconnected back to the alternator positive lead stud.